Since English is the primary language of instruction and communication at St. Norbert College you must demonstrate an adequate level of proficiency in English regardless of your citizenship status or country of origin.St. Norbert College has this language requirement to ensure that all students will have the opportunity for success in a chosen program.
Proof of Proficiency – Not Required
Normally, if you meet any one of the following conditions you are not required to submit proof of proficiency in English:
- Mother tongue (language first learned and still used on a daily basis) is English;
- Has obtained (or is about to obtain) an undergraduate degree or graduate degree from a recognized foreign institution where English is the language of instruction;
- Has obtained (or is about to obtain) an undergraduate or graduate degree from a recognized institution in the United States or Canada (Anglophone);
- Has lived and attended university, or been employed for at least four consecutive years, in a country where English is the acknowledged primary language.
If you do not meet any of the above-listed conditions, you must demonstrate proficiency in English using one of the following options:
- TOEFL* (Test of English as a Foreign Language) minimum acceptable score of:
- iBT (internet based test): 80
- PBT (paper based test): 550
- *N.B., an institutional version of the TOEFL is not acceptable.
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System): a band score of 6.5 or greater.
- Successful completion of St. Norbert College ESL advanced level course.
For additional options to meet the English requirement, please visit our Alternative Proficiency page.
The decision to waive the standard requirement is at the discretion of the Admission Committee and is based on the strength of the student’s academic performance. It is therefore recommend that all students whose native language is not English take either the TOEFL or IELTS test as part of the application process.
Applicants who have completed a degree program at universities in the following countries may be exempt from proof of proficiency in English:
|Anguilla||Antigua and Barbuda||Australia|
|Papau New Guinea||Pakistan||St. Kitts & Nevis|
|St. Lucia||St. Vincent/Grenadines||Seychelles|
|Sierra Leone||Singapore||Solomon Islands|
|United Kingdom||Trinidad and Tobago||Uganda|
|Zimbabwe||United States of America||Zambia|