American Studies Minor Requirements
American Studies Minor (six courses)
- AMER 261 / HUMA 261 Introduction to American Studies
- AMER 116 / HIST 116 History of the United States
- AMER 499 (0 credit) American Studies Interdisciplinary Research Project, taken concurrently as part of the final American Studies 300 level or above, elective course (see following list) outside of student’s major.
American Studies Electives (Any four of the following. At least one course must be at 300 level or higher.)
*Asterisk indicates 300-level courses that may be taken with AMER 499.
- AMER 221 / RELS 221 Religion in America
- AMER 235 / ENGL 235 Survey of United States Literature (Beginning to 1865)
- AMER 236 / ENGL 236 Survey of United States Literature (1865 to present)
- AMER 305 / PHIL 305 American Philosophy*
- AMER 311 / ENGL 311 Women in Literature*
- AMER 317 / POLI 317 American Political Thought*
- AMER 319 / HIST 319 The Catholic Contribution to the United States*
- AMER 323 / ENGL 323 The Harlem Renaissance*
- AMER 329 / ENGL 329 Literature of Service*
- AMER 335 / POLI 335 Legislative Politics*
Special Topics Courses
- (AMER 289, AMER 389, AMER 489) may be taken as electives in the minor.
- (AMER 490) may be arranged with permission of the associate dean of humanities and fine arts, the instructor and program director.