Packers Training Camp
St. Norbert College hosted the NFL’s Green Bay Packers’ training camp for the 59th consecutive year in 2016. The tradition began in the summer of 1958 and has continued uninterrupted since, marking the longest continual use of any training camp facility by an NFL team.
Players reside in Victor McCormick Hall and eat dinner in Michels Commons. The Packers use their own practice and team meeting facilities at Lambeau Field during training camp and commute daily to there from the college.
St. Norbert College Packers Training Camp History
Then-president of the Packers, Russ Bogda, and then-head coach, Lisle Blackburn, first approached St. Norbert College in the spring of 1957. At the time, the Packers were headquartering at UW-Stevens Point. In the summer of 1958, coach Scooter McLean and his staff brought the Packers to the St. Norbert campus and Frank J. Sensenbrenner Residence Hall’s living quarters, to various classrooms for training sessions and to the dining facilities in the riverbank hall now called Dennis M. Burke Hall. Over the 57 years, various halls have been used, but the string of successive summers at St. Norbert College has never been broken.
President Dominic Olejniczak, successor to Bogda (who had retired due to illness), completed contractual agreements with St. Norbert College. In 1959, newly appointed head coach Vince Lombardi confirmed the summer camp location and formed a friendship with St. Norbert president the Rev. Dennis Burke, O.Praem. Succeeding coaches and Packers presidents over the years have found the facilities to their liking.
Read more about the long relationship between St. Norbert College and the Green Bay Packers.