Sickle-Cell Trait Information
As of the 2013-14 academic year, the NCAA recommends that all student-athletes have knowledge of their sickle-cell trait status. Student-athletes must do one of the following:
- Show proof of a prior test with results
- Have a blood test to check for sickle-cell trait
- Sign a testing waiver if declining options 1 and 2.
Infants born after 1984 were tested for sickle-cell at birth, and the documentation should be available from the family pediatrician at birth. For more information, download and read Knowing Your Sickle-Cell Trait Status (PDF).
The student-athlete or student-athlete's primary insurance is responsible for all testing costs if electing to pursue a blood test to check for sickle-cell trait.
Signing of the waiver is not recommended; rather, it is preferred that all student-athletes know their status to help ensure their health and well-being during participation in athletics. Before signing the waiver, the student-athlete must review the educational materials below to ensure he/she is educated on sickle-cell trait.
- NCAA Sickle-Cell Video
- NCAA Sickle-Cell Trait Fact Sheet for Student-Athletes
- Sickle-Cell Trait Status and Waiver Form