Supervisor Application for On-Campus Internships
On-Campus Internship Application Guidelines
1. Hours, Pay, and Supervisor
2. Job Description
- Include number of hours, pay, and name of supervisor
- A minimum of 60 total hours/semester is required, with a maximum of 20 hours/week
- Pay range for on-campus interns is $8.30-$9.30/hr
- Interns must be supervised by a professional staff member that has expertise related to the internship field. If none of the staff have the required expertise, then the position is better suited as a part-time job (student worker) as the position does not provide the opportunity to be learning skills and gaining knowledge from a mentoring professional in that designated career field.
- Internship supervisors must be willing and available to provide adequate training and regular on-site supervision, meeting formally with the individual intern a minimum of 30 minutes every other week.
- Create a list of the work activities that will fit the needs of your department while also taking into consideration the professional development of the intern. Be as specific about the job tasks as possible. The more the student knows about the actual tasks involved in the position, the better he/she will be able to gauge if the position would make a good fit. Students are more likely to apply for a position if they feel they have a solid grasp of what the job will entail.
- Of significant importance is describing the type of work. A percentage breakdown of job responsibilities in grid format is required. Less than 25% of time should be spent on routine or mundane work tasks (running errands, answering phone, etc.) that do not provide learning opportunities in the career field. To qualify as an internship, the quality of work must be worthy of academic credit.
4. Benefits student would accrue through the internship experience
- Year in school (Minimum of sophomore standing required)
- Student must be in good standing: Conduct and Academic (this is required) - Contact the Office of the Vice President of Student Affairs for conduct verification of applicants
- Minimum GPA (Minimum of 2.5 GPA is required) - Contact the Registrar's Office for academic verification of applicants
- Student must be enrolled at least half-time (6 or more credits) in
undergraduate studies. Current students offered summer on-campus
internships must be enrolled at least half-time during the subsequent
fall term in
- List both transferable and technical skills required or preferred for the position
- Opportunities for job shadowing or networking.
- Opportunities for mentoring.
- Opportunities to learn by participation and reflection.
- Skill and professional development opportunities.
- Describe the structure and amount of supervision.
On Campus Internship Applications:
Application for First Time Submissions (use this form if this is your first time applying through this process)
Internship Application for Resubmissions (use this form if your application was previously not approved by the On-Campus Internship Advisory Committee). Before resubmitting the application, the intended internship supervisor must first meet with the Assistant Director of Internships to receive the recommendations of the On-Campus Internship Advisory Committee.
NOTE: The following applications serve as examples of applications that have been approved by the Internship Advisory Committee.
Internship Application Example
Applications that have been previously approved do
not need to re-apply for identical positions in the future. However,
positions that were previously approved can be re-evaluated at any time
by the Career Services Office or the On-Campus Internship Advisory
Committee. A new application is needed if a supervisor wants
to apply for additional internship positions.
For more information about internships, contact:
Phone: (920) 403-3040
Fax: (920) 403-4052