Resources for parents
Career Services is here to help your son or daughter succeed by fostering student awareness of career development as a lifelong and dynamic process. We provide opportunities for self-assessment, career exploration and preparation for attaining short and long-term goals through comprehensive services, programs, resources and experiential education.
Our goal is to help students discover, appreciate, develop and apply the unique combination of interests, talents, experiences and values that they possess.
Role of Parents
Parents have an integral role in assisting their student making successful academic and career decisions:
- Listen to your student's ideas, hopes, and fears, and remain open-minded.
- Support their exploration of interests, majors and career paths, even if it is not what you imagined.
- Encourage your student to begin career planning early, and visit Career Services to investigate available programs and services.
- Help your student develop decision-making skills. Look at the available options, weigh the benefits and disadvantages, make a tentative decision, and try it out!
- Emphasize the importance of internships, job shadowing, volunteering, informational interviewing, and part-time and summer employment experiences.
- Discuss career-related issues, such as trendy jobs, ways of life, salaries, and working in a field you enjoy.
- Discuss the value of networking with people in careers of interest.
- Encourage your student to connect with faculty (make an office visit, ask questions), utilize available campus resources, and become involved in extracurricular activities.
If you ever have any question, please feel free to give us a call at (920) 403-3040 or e-mail