Requirements for Hiring an SNC InternInternship supervisors must be willing and available to provide adequate training and regular on-site supervision of their SNC student intern, meeting with individual interns a minimum of 30 minutes on a biweekly basis.
Criteria for an Experience to be Defined as an Internship
To ensure that an experience – whether it is a traditional internship or one conducted remotely or virtually – is educational, and thus eligible to be considered a legitimate internship by the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) definition, all the following criteria must be met:
- The experience must be an extension of the classroom: a learning experience that provides for applying the knowledge gained in the classroom. It must not be simply to advance the operations of the employer or be the work that a regular employee would routinely perform.
- The skills or knowledge learned must be transferable to other employment settings.
- The experience has a defined beginning and end, and a job description with desired qualifications.
- There are clearly defined learning objectives/goals related to the professional goals of the student’s academic coursework.
- There is supervision by a professional with expertise and educational and/or professional background in the field of the experience.
- There is routine feedback by the experienced supervisor.
- There are resources, equipment and facilities provided by the host employer that support learning objectives/goals.
Internship Training Requirements
Review the following guidelines to determine whether your internship program is in compliance with the federal Fair Labor Standards Act.
- The training, even though it includes actual operation of the facilities of the employer, is similar to that which would be given in a vocational school;
- The training is for the benefit of the trainees or students;
- The trainees or students do not displace regular employees, but work under their close observation;
- The employer that provides the training derives no immediate advantage from the activities of the trainees or students, and on occasion his operations may actually be impeded;
- The trainees or students are not necessarily entitled to a job at the conclusion of the training period; and
- The employer and the trainees or students understand that the trainees or students are not entitled to wages for the time spent in training.
The average hourly wage of an SNC intern (off-campus positions) in 2013-14 was $10.78/hour.
Internship Registration Options
Student interns have the option to register their internship for either academic credit or 0-credit. To learn more about registering an internship, visit the internships web page for students.