Research shows that as many as 70% of open positions are filled as a result of networking. The contacts you make, if cultivated and used wisely, can lead to future employment. Everyone has a network, it's just a matter of thinking broadly and creatively about who is in it. Thanks to social media, there are countless new ways to virtually network with almost anyone.Good luck in the networking process!
If you have questions, please contact Career Services.
Step 1Identify Your Selling Points
- What are your top 3 skills/strengths?
- What makes you unique from other candidates?
- How do your skills/strengths align with your targeted industry?
Step 2Determine Who Is Already in Your Network
- Tap into family, friends, faculty, staff, coaches, advisers, supervisors, mentors and St. Norbert College alumni
Step 3Carry Your Business Cards Everywhere
- Create personalized business cards via an online search for “free business cards”
- Exchange and share your business cards generously
Step 4Prepare & Practice Your 60-Second Commercial
Step 5Join LinkedIn
- LinkedIn is a professional networking site that allows you to make meaningful connections and gain valuable information
- Join the St. Norbert College Alumni & Friends LinkedIn group
- More information on using LinkedIn for your job and internship search
Step 6Expand Your Network
- Join a professional organization, volunteer, utilize LinkedIn
- Meet with Career & Professional Development staff to develop your individualized plan
Step 7Maintain Your Network
- Maintain your relationships by staying in contact over time. For example, send an email, message them on LinkedIn, invite them to coffee.