Resources for Parents
We are here to help your son or daughter succeed by fostering student awareness of career development as a lifelong and dynamic process. Our office provides opportunities for self-assessment, career exploration and preparation for attaining career goals through comprehensive services, programs and experiences. Our goal is to help students discover and appreciate the unique combination of interests, talents, experiences and values they possess.
The Role of Parents
As parents, you have an integral role in assisting your student to make successful academic and career decisions:
- Listen to your student's ideas, hopes, and fears and remain open-minded.
- Support their exploration of interests, majors and career paths, even if it is not what you imagined.
- Encourage your student to begin career planning early, and visit Career & Professional Development to investigate available programs and services.
- Help your student develop decision-making skills.
- Encourage your student to look at available options, weigh the benefits and disadvantages, make a tentative decision and try it out!
- Emphasize the importance of internships, job shadowing, volunteering, informational interviewing, and part-time and summer employment experiences.
- Discuss career-related issues, such as high-demand industries, ways of life, salaries and working in a field they enjoy.
- Discuss the value of networking with people in careers of interest.
- Encourage your student to connect with faculty (make an office visit, ask questions), utilize available campus resources and become involved in student organizations.
If you ever have any questions, please feel free to contact us.