St. Norbert College
St. Norbert College
(Students, faculty and staff) mySNC -
- -
- About SNC | A to Z Index | Directory -


Current International Student Help Center

Orientation for International Students Reporting to St. Norbert College Academic Testing Living/Residence Halls
Eating at the College Bursar Office/Payments Custom Cash Health and Wellness Services
Academic Advisement Tutoring Student Organizations and Clubs Immigration
Traveling as an International Student Driver's License Student Employment Services and Departments on Campus


Orientation for international students ( ISO)  |  return to top
The international student orientation is a special program for designed just for you. It will introduce you to your new home at St. Norbert and get you off to a great start in your academic career here! For the academic year 2015-2016   International Student  Orientation will be held from August 27 through August 28. International students will then participate in the general orientation and week of welcome activities. Shorter and less extensive orientations are offered at the start of spring semester. International students have found the orientation program to be valuable for making new friends as well as understanding the academic requirements and support services available at St. Norbert College. Students will also receive important immigration information that will help them maintain legal status while they are in the U.S. Participation in International Student Orientation is mandatory. Current international students serve as orientation volunteers and assist with introductions to the campus and community. 

Reporting to St. Norbert  return to top
After you arrive at St. Norbert you must check in with members of Center for International Education Staff, Sarah Griffiths, Director of International Students and Scholar Services or Marcy O'Malley, Director of International Programming. This process usually takes place when you arrive on campus or during ISO. Please remember that  International Student Orientation is mandatory for first year and exchange students. Please plan on arriving at St. Norbert no later than August 25, 2015. Bring the following documents with you:

  • Passport I-94, I-20 (for F-1 visa-holders) DS-2019 (for J-1 visa-holders)
St. Norbert College is required to check those documents to confirm your status in the U.S.. Failure to do so could result in loss of your legal status in the U.S.

Academic testing  |  return to top
The English and Math Placement Tests are administered during the international student orientation. It is required for students conditionally admitted to St. Norbert College; it is not required for directly admitted students or exchange students who have demonstrated the requisite English skills. At the international student orientation check-in, students will be guided through the sign-up process.

For more information about academic  testing, call Marcy O'Malley +1(920) 403-3955 or

Living/Residence Halls  return to top
St. Norbert College is a residential college and there are 12 dormitories. The International Program staff will ask the Office of Residential Education and Housing to reserve a dormitory room for you as soon as you tell us you have a visa and you have plans to come to St. Norbert College.

We do not offer home stays and we cannot help you find off-campus housing. The Office of Residential Education and Housing assigns a dormitory room to each student. Most dormitory rooms are double rooms.  There are single rooms in some dormitories but they are not always available.

Each dormitory building has a "residence hall director" and several "residence hall assistants" (RAs). There is an RA on each floor to help with any problems you may have. All residence halls are secured residences are able to get in by using their student ID card. 

All residence halls have clothes washers and dryers which can be used with purchasing custom cash, small kitchens, recreation rooms, and study rooms. All rooms have Internet connections for computers. Many students bring their own computers to campus. More housing information may be found at on the Office of Residential Education and Housing website.

Eating at the College  return to top
Students living in residence halls are required to have a college meal plan. First year students are required to purchase the "Platinum Meal Plan"  Most international exchange students purchase the "Silver Plan."  2015-16 academic school year, the "Silver Meal Plan" costs about $1460 per semester. 

Students may use their "meal dollars" in the college cafeteria, at "Phil's" our on-campus restaurant in the Campus Center, Ed’s Café  and in vending machines located across the campus. There is no refund if you do not use your meal plan. Meal plan contract.

Students who live off campus are not required to have a meal plan, but may purchase one. In the summer and during holidays, food service may not offer full meal plans. Students may choose limited meal plans, prepare meals in residence hall kitchens or eat at local restaurants. Food service information may be found on the Dining Services website.

Bursar Office return to top
St. Norbert College accepts online payments by credit card, checking or savings accounts as well as cash or check for the payment of tuition, fees, room and board. All amounts received must be in U.S. funds.

All past due amounts are subject to a late payment fee of ONE PERCENT PER MONTH (12 percent annually). Students will not be issued official grade transcripts or permitted to register for succeeding semesters until such time all tuition and fees have been paid in full. Diplomas will not be issued unless all fees have been paid in full and exit requirements have been met.

Contact the Bursar Office for specific information regarding payment by calling 1-920-403-3002.

Custom Cash  return to top
Custom Cash is an optional declining balance account that St. Norbert College makes available on your ID Card. You can deposit US dollars into your account in the finance office, and then use your St. Norbert ID card as a debit card at some places on campus. For your convenience you can put Custom Cash on your account and charge it to your tuition by clicking on the Custom Cash Deposit Form.

You can also put Custom Cash on your account at the Finance Department (cash, check, account charge) located in Todd Wehr Hall or Campus Card Services (account charge only) located in Todd Wehr Hall.

Custom Cash deposits that are charged to your tuition are subject to credit approval. You can use your Custom Cash account until you graduate or withdraw from school. Custom Cash accounts with a $25 or higher balance are fully refundable.

By using your Custom Cash account, you can make "cashless" purchases at the following locations:
  • Phil's Cafe
  • Student Union Dining Room
  • Box Office
  • SNC Book Store
  • Vending Machines
  • Copy Center
  • Library Copy Machines
  • Residential Hall Laundry Facilities
Custom Cash can also be used for our Merchants Online Program. This program includes the following De Pere area businesses.
  • De Pere Y-Mart
  • The Abbey Grill
  • Pizza Hut Italian Bistro
  • Lazy Gecko's restaurant
  • Big Apple Bagels
Health and Wellness Services  return to top
All students registered in undergraduate programs at St. Norbert College are charged a Student Health Fee.

All St. Norbert College students have access to care at Health and Wellness Services. Health care services include physical assessment and evaluation by a registered nurse, testing procedures for illnesses such as: influenza, mono, strep throat and urinalysis, as well as sample over-the-counter medications and health education. All St. Norbert College students are able to receive following services; Medical care, advanced diagnostic testing, and prescriptions are available on fee-for-service bases, which may be covered by medical insurance.

The college's student health insurance plan covers 100% of any health care costs incurred in Health and Wellness Services. For more information, please visit the Health and Wellness Services website. All international students are required to have health insurance. They must prove that their own insurance will cover them while they are in the U.S. or they will be automatically enrolled in the St. Norbert College student health insurance and the fee will be charged to their student account. The cost for student insurance for 2014-15  is $2000 for the year or $100 per semester. The cost for 2015-16 has yet to be determined.

Academic Advisement  return to top
At St. Norbert College, advising is integral to each student’s academic program. All degree-seeking students are assigned to an academic advisor. Advisors serve as a campus resource for students, assisting them in meeting their academic and career goals. Sarah Griffiths is the initial or secondary advisor for all international students. For more information, please visit the Academic Advisement website.

  return to top
Tutoring is available at no cost to all enrolled students at St. Norbert College. The tutoring program offers tutoring one-on-one or in small groups (usually 4 or less students).

Responsibilities of the student:
  • Attend all classes
  • Attend all tutoring sessions
  • Be on Time for tutoring sessions
  • Establish a schedule for tutoring during the initial tutoring session
  • Clarify needs with the tutor at this first session
  • Bring all materials to their tutoring sessions—textbook, classroom notes, syllabus, assignment sheet, graded assignments, quizzes or exams, etc.
  • Share your academic progress with the tutor
  • Express any concerns you have with the tutor
  • Complete an evaluation of tutoring when you complete your tutoring sessions (at the end of the semester or when you terminate tutoring)

Student Organizations and Clubs  return to top
There are more than 70 student organizations at St. Norbert College that provide a very rich co-curricular campus environment. St. Norbert College organizations are recognized by the Student Government Association. at the beginning of the semester, there will be a Student Involvement Fair called  Taste of SNC, this is a fun afternoon on campus when all of our students check out the wide range of student organizations active on campus and find out how to get involved.

Immigration  return to top

St. Norbert College has select personnel designated and trained to administer St Norbert College's F-1 and J-1 student visa programs. You should contact one of the following staff if you have any questions or concerns about your immigration or visa status.

Sarah Griffith,for F1/F2 visas- Primary Designated School Official, (PDSO) and for J1/J2 visas Responsible Officer (RO) Director of International Student and Scholar Services

Marcy O'Malley,for F1/F2 visas Designated School Official, (DSO) and for J1/J2 Alternate Responsible Office (ARO) Director of International Programming

What is SEVIS?
SEVIS stands for "Student and Exchange Visitor Information System." SEVIS is an internet-based system designed to allow schools and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Department of  State to exchange data on the visa status of international students and exchange visitors.

All U.S. universities and colleges are therefore now required to electronically report information to the U.S. government (ICE) about international students who have been issued SEVIS I-20 (F-1) and SEVIS DS-2019 (J-1) forms.

Please see St. Norbert College's PDSO or DSO if you have any questions regarding SEVIS.

What happens if my visa stamp in my passport expires? What’s the difference between visa and status?
Your visa is your entry permit into the U.S. It gives you permission to enter the country. However, it does not determine how long you may stay.

Your immigration status on the other hand determines the length of time you may stay and is noted on your I-94. Your status (noted on the I-94 card) is determined at the time of entry into the U.S. by the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer.

The status you are granted depends on the type of visa you hold at the time of entry. For example, if you obtained an F-1 visa from the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country, your status upon entry in the U.S. will be indicated as "F-1, D/S" on the I-94. However, please note that it is possible that your status does not correspond to the type of visa you used to gain entry to the U.S. if you filed an application to change your status while remaining in the United States.

Please see St. Norbert College's PDSO or DSO if you have any questions regarding your visa status.

How long can I remain in the U.S. after completion of my program?
The completion of your program is determined by your academic progress, not the date on your I-20 or DS-2019. Therefore, DHS considers program completion to be the date on which you complete all of your degree or program requirements; the fact that your I-20 or DS-2019 will “expire” in the future does not matter. F-1 students can remain in the U.S. for a grace period up to 60 days after their program completion date; J-1 students and scholars can remain in the U.S. for 30 days after their program completion date.

Please note, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will not allow students and exchange visitors to re-enter the U.S. during their grace period in F-1 or J-1 status, respectively. Please plan your post-completion travels accordingly.

What documents do I need in order to reenter the U.S. from a trip abroad?
International Students in F-1 and J-1 visa status must ensure that they have adequate documentation in order to re-enter the U.S. and continue studies. According to U.S. law, a student in F-1 or J-1 visa status may be readmitted to the U.S. after an absence of five months or less, provided that s/he has maintained lawful full-time F-1 or J-1 status during his/her stay in the U.S.
Documents required:
In order to apply for re-entry into the U.S. after travel abroad, an international student must present the following documents to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer upon returning to a U.S. airport or other Port of Entry:
  • Valid Passport
  • Valid U.S. Entry Visa Stamp in Passport
  • Valid SEVIS I-20 (F-1 / F-2) or Valid SEVIS DS-2019 (J-1 / J-2)
  • Valid travel signature from your Designated School Official (DSO) or Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) on your SEVIS I-20 (F-1 / F-2) or SEVIS DS-2019 (J-1 / J-2). You may request a travel signature by completing and submitting a Document Request Form to the office of International Student and Scholar Services.
  • I-901 SEVIS Fee Payment Receipt
  • A letter from St. Norbert College's PDSO or DSO verifying your lawful F-l / F- 2 or J-1 / J-2 visa status. You may request a letter verifying your lawful status by completing and submitting a Document Request Form to the ISSS.
We also recommends that you take with you the following documents: an official transcript (a historical record of your course work and grades) which may be requested online from Student Records; a St. Norbert College student identification card; and proof of adequate financial support for your educational and living expenses.

Travel  return to top
For a trip less than 30 days in duration you may be eligible for Automatic Visa Validation (AVR). This will allow you to re-enter the U.S. without having to apply for a new U.S. visa stamp if your current one is expired (or if you changed status to F-1 or J-1 within the U.S.). This does not apply to citizens of certain countries, to those who do not have a U.S. visa stamp, and to holders of U.S. visas that have been canceled.

For further information regarding this and other travel-related questions, please contact St. Norbert College's PDSO or DSO. If you want to going home during school vacation, make sure that your I-20 is signed by a designated school official from St. Norbert: Sarah Griffiths, or Marcy O'Malley.

My student visa has expired and I need to travel outside of the U.S. How do I apply for a new student visa to be used for my reentry into the U.S.?
To apply for a student visa you will need to make an appointment with a U.S. Embassy or Consulate located in your home country. Due to recent changes to visa processing and special clearances needed for some applicants, you are strongly encouraged to make your visa application appointment as early as possible.

You will need to bring the following documents with you to apply for your student visa:
  • A SEVIS Form 1-20 (F-1) OR
  • a SEVIS Form DS-2019 (J-1) issued by St. Norbert College
Make sure that you provide all pages of the forms and check to see that the form is signed by you and the appropriate school official in the appropriate places.
  • Proof of Adequate Financial Support - bank documents showing you or your sponsor has the financial ability to cover your educational and living expenses during the period of your studies.
  • I-901 SEVIS Fee Payment Receipt
  • Form DS-156 and Form DS-158 - both forms must be completed and signed by you. Some applicants will also be required to complete DS-157. These forms are available at U.S. Embassies and Consulates.
  • Passport - valid for at least six months after your intended date of entry into the United States.
  • Photograph - one photograph taken according to the Guidelines for Producing High Quality Photographs for U.S. Travel Documents.
  • Processing Fee - you must present proof of payment of all applicable fees by presenting a receipt. For applicable fees contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate nearest you.
Driver's License  return to top
In order to get a driver’s license in the USA, you need to pass both written and actual driving exams. Both exams you can take at the local Driving Motor Vehicle service centers.  You may obtain a student verification document from the college  through ISSS.

For taking the written exam, you can get the textbook for studying either visit DMV service center or download from its website for free. After past the written exam, you are qualified to take next exam which is the driving exam. You can take written test anytime while the center open, but reservation is needed for a driving test. You will also need to bring a car on that day for driving test.

For more information, please visit DMV service center website.

Student Employment  return to top
Non-immigrant students in F-1 or J-1 status are eligible to work at the school they are attending and which issued them their SEVIS I-20 (F-1) and SEVIS DS-2019 (J-1) Forms.

On-campus employment includes all assistantships, fellowships, and scholarships. In order for a student to be considered eligible for on-campus employment, s/he must be enrolled as a full-time student and must be in lawful F-1 or J-1 student status. Your eligibility for on-campus employment is in effect ONLY as long as you are maintaining lawful nonimmigrant F-1 or J-1 student status.Please see St. Norbert College's PDSO or DSO if you have any questions regarding your lawful status. 

If you violate your status, you make yourself ineligible for on-campus employment, because on-campus employment is a benefit granted only to those students who maintain lawful status. If you were to violate your status and continue working on-campus, you would be engaging in illegal employment, and would potentially risk deportationJ-1 students interested in on-campus employment should make an appointment to meet with an advisor before they begin work on campus.

All forms of employment (both on-campus and off-campus) are limited to no more than 20 hours per week during the academic year. Students who are maintaining their status are eligible to work full-time during holidays and annual vacation periods, provided they intend to register for the next academic session.For getting more information and finding on-campus-job, check the Student Employment website.

Social Security Number
 In the USA, you need to have a social security number before start work. This number will be able to track your personal information so that it will be your ID in the USA. Since social security number is required by US government for every employee, the employers would help you to get social security number. If you are interested in getting a job, please make an appointment with your adviser and employer for more information.

For more information, please visit the Social Security Administration website.

Services and departments on campus  |  return top
Academic Support Services
Career & Professional Development
Center for International Education
College Catalog
The Counseling Center
Division of Mission and Heritage
English as a Second Language Institute
Health and Wellness Services
Information Technology Services
The Office of Leadership Development, Service and Engagement (student organizations)
Miriam B. and James J. Mulva Library
Office of Residential Education and Housing (REH)
Writing Center 

Center for International Education

Phone: (920) 403-3494
Fax: (920) 403-4083

St. Norbert College • 100 Grant Street • De Pere, WI 54115-2099 • 920-337-3181