Internships: A Student’s Chance to See What Makes Your Organization Tick … and Vice Versa.Internships let students take what they’ve learned in the classroom and apply it practically in a professional setting. An internship gives a student the chance to see how an organization operates – and at the same time, it gives the organization a good, solid look at a potential future employee.
Hiring interns also has these benefits for your organization:
• Reduces training and recruitment costs.
• Allows flexibility in staffing needs.
• Brings a fresh new perspective to the workplace.
• Enhances employer-college relations.
• Results in a higher average retention rate among permanent employees recruited and hired through an internship program.
According to a recent National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) Experiential Education Survey, approximately 92 percent of employers offer internships; 70 percent extend full-time job offers to their interns; and 56 percent of interns actually convert to full-time hires.
What Internships Entail/How They Work
Internships with St. Norbert College students are planned in cooperation with the college, the organization and the student. They’re overseen by a St. Norbert faculty or staff member, and by a designated supervisor in your organization. They are:
- Paraprofessional in nature.
- Triad partnerships between the student, college and employer, with responsibilities of each clearly articulated in pre-defined learning objectives.
- Supervised by professional staff.
- Paid or unpaid.
- Eligible for academic credit, if the student chooses.
For complete details on developing internships please visit internships webpage.
Hiring St. Norbert College Interns
Follow these steps to create an internship for a St. Norbert student.
- Review the Requirements for Hiring a St. Norbert College Intern.
- Intern Bridge is an excellent resource for information on best practices.
- Create a job description for your internship position.
- Post the position for student viewing on Career Connections.
- Review student cover letters and résumés.
- Interview students (ask for references).
- Contact the references provided.
- Select a student for your internship position.
- Inform Career Services that you have hired an SNC student intern.