St. Norbert College
St. Norbert College
(Students, faculty and staff) mySNC -
- -
- About SNC | A to Z Index | Directory -


8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m

Main Hall, lower level

Please make a confidential appointment by stopping at the office or by calling (920) 403-3045.


Quick Links:

Green square  Self-Help Resource Library
Green square  Who We Are
Green square  Privacy Policy

Online Resources: 

Half of Us
An MTV initiative on how to feel better, find help now, help friends and more.

Online resource for college mental health.

Alcohol eCheckup To Go
Take a self-assessment to get detailed information about your relationship with alcohol and learn helpful harm reduction strategies.
Resources for Parents

Thank you so much for visiting our website. We enjoy working with parents or other relatives who are concerned about the welfare of their child/relative. Below are the most frequent questions we get and our answers to them.

Q: How much are counseling sessions?
A: Counseling sessions are free thanks to the student health fee paid by all students each semester.

Q: Can my student/child sign a blanket release so I know what’s going on with my student at all times?
A: No, the student may consent to have us disclose specific information to you but the student always has the right to revoke that authorization. We do try to work with students on getting parents/family involved if clinically appropriate but again, they have the right to refuse.

Q: Can I make an appointment for my student, and how do I know if they kept an appointment?
A: You cannot make an appointment for your student, but we can let you know some times that might be free if your student chooses to come in to see us. Unless there is a written authorization to disclose information signed by your student, we cannot tell you if he or she kept the appointment, missed the appointment or canceled the appointment.

Q: Can your office prescribe medications?
A: No, the Health and Wellness office (across the hall) has a physician assistant on staff who under very limited circumstances can see a student and prescribe basic antidepressant medication if appropriate. Due to the limited availability of psychiatric services in the Green Bay area, we strongly encourage students who need medication to work with their medical providers at home if at all possible. We are happy to meet with the student for counseling and provide information to the medical provider at home.

Q: Will you notify the family in cases of emergency?
A: Our office will notify family if the student gives us permission. However, we do insist that in cases of life-threatening emergencies, the local police department, our staff or the local psychiatric facility examine the student to ensure safety. In some cases of suicidal risk, we will recommend that the student allow us to work with mom or dad or another family member to get treatment at a facility closer to home. However, if the student refuses, we must utilize the local services, and we cannot disclose that unless the student gives permission. If a student is transported to the hospital for an alcohol or drug related emergency or other medical emergency, someone from student affairs will typically be notified by campus safety, and student affairs will contact the emergency contact listed on the student’s registration.

Q: How many students are dismissed for having mental health problems?
A: No students are dismissed solely for having mental health problems. We routinely see students with a wide range of serious issues. It is only when the student’s behavior has become very disruptive to the college community, the student is unable to complete the academic requirements or the student is recurrently at risk of harm to self or others that a medical withdrawal might be appropriate. It is only in those rare cases when the symptoms become unmanageable or disruptive that we would issue a medical withdrawal. Once the condition is resolved or improved, the student can reapply to the college and be readmitted with proper documentation of improvement.

Q: How do I know when to contact your office?
A: Any time you have concerns about your student’s functioning, we’re happy to help directly or provide alternative methods of addressing the issue. For example, parents periodically call and are worried about the social life of their student who might feel lonely or like they are not making friends. Unless there are unusual circumstances, we would contact the RA or hall director for the student, share your concerns and have them speak with the student to determine a course of action which may include visits at our office or simply the hall staff working more closely with your student. We wouldn’t disclose any personal history you reveal with the hall director or RA to minimize any privacy concerns, but since they interact with the students on a daily basis, we like to start there.


Phone: (920) 403-3045
Fax: (920) 403-3099

St. Norbert College • 100 Grant Street • De Pere, WI 54115-2099 • 920-337-3181