What Can I Do With a Degree in English?
A liberal arts degree, especially one in English, can prepare you for anything. While there are a number of career options with an English degree (see sidebar on the right), begin to think ahead and prepare the following:
- Complete one or more internships
- Consider building a portfolio of your writing. There are a number of places to publish your work both on and off campus. See the list of undergraduate literary journals that accept critical and/or creative writing.
- Talk to your advisor and/or schedule an individual appointment with a career counselor in the Career & Professional Development office.
- Learn more about career options for English majors and career paths of St. Norbert graduates.
- Check out the employment and graduate–school results from recent Career & Professional Development surveys: Employers, Job Titles, Graduate or Professional.
Interested in teaching English abroad?
Many of our majors have.
Graduate and Professional School
St. Norbert graduates have gone on to do graduate work at many different universities nationwide. Because English gives students a wide variety of tools, students are as prepared to enter a professional program after their undergraduate work as they are to go on to graduate school. English majors continuing their studies in English typically seek an M.A., Ph.D. or M.F.A. (Masters of Fine Arts). Tips for graduate school.