English MissionThe English discipline embraces and contributes to the St. Norbert mission: “St. Norbert College is a Catholic liberal arts college embracing the Norbertine tradition of communio, and provides an educational environment that fosters intellectual, spiritual and personal development.”
The English discipline’s vision is to help English majors become caring, well-rounded citizens. English majors graduate with the knowledge, skills and desire necessary to make positive contributions to the communities they enter. To achieve that end, the English major includes the following:
• Coverage – students explore the broad canvas of English and American literature, which we recognize as an evolving rather than static body of work.
• Skills – students practice the essential skills of critical inquiry through reading, analysis and academic writing.
• Theory – students learn the debates that frame the study of literature and how to apply theoretical paradigms to readings of literature.
• Language – students engage in the study of a foreign language.
• Creativity – students may pursue creative writing.
• Service – students may serve the college and outside communities through academic organizations and extra-curricular projects.