SNC’s On Track
SNC’s On Track is all about walking and being physically active.
We invite you to join us for our next program, beginning March 23rd through April 19th, 2015.
This program will utilize the American Heart Association’s “Start Walking Now“ activity tracker. After participants have registered for the program, they will have access to:
- Activity tracker – an easy-to-use physical activity and nutrition tracker.
- My walking plan – a personalized walking plan to get you on your way to a healthier you.
- Create your own walking paths and sharing them with others.
Our goal is to follow the American Heart Association’s physical activity recommendation. You can use this as your goal or the program allows you to set your own daily activity goal.
You may like to use these apps as a suggestion for motivation towards your healthy goals.
Just for fun - Teemo: the fitness adventure game. There are 10 adventures to choose from with "short, understandable workouts based on established exercise research." App information available here.
Donate a Photo - Take a photo of your team or a selfie in fitness action! Get the app for Donate a Photo and be able to easily donate to a cause of your choice. "Here are some ways you can help your favorite nonprofits by sharing your photos. You’ll raise money and awareness, and help your causes meet their goals."
Charity Miles - "Charity Miles is an app that allows people to earn money for their favorite charities by tracking their exercise activities. The app's creators have obtained a number of corporate sponsors who will pay money for every mile ran, walked, or biked." Take a look at Charity Miles on Facebook and the app is available here.
Journey of Faith
If you would like to strive towards a particular goal, this local walk may interest you. The Walk to Mary "United in Step from Shrine to Shrine" which is an approximate 21 mile walk begins at the National Shrine of St. Joseph, St. Norbert Abbey, De Pere, WI and ends at the Shrine of Our Lady of Good Help, Champion, WI with four alternate "join in" points along the way. This journey of faith takes place May 2nd, 2015 and registration is required.
Find up-to-date information and highlights by following the program on our Take the Challenge blog, and make sure to follow Health and Wellness on Pinterest!
See the latest from Student Health 101 on Facebook and Twitter.
Registration is located on the American Heart Association’s, Get Active for a Healthier Lifestyle website.
What Equipment is Needed?
You will only need to keep track of your time spent on activities, although you may also use a pedometer. The AHA’s Activity Tracker has the capability of tracking 27 activities from aerobics through yoga. You select the activity, the intensity of the activity and enter the number of minutes of the activity. Then, press enter and you will see the total steps accomplished during that activity – very simple and fun!
What is the Cost?
There is no cost – it’s free!
Who Can Participate?
Everyone in the college community can participate! Students, faculty and staff are encouraged to join this four-week walking program. You will register as individuals, enter a team name if you wish and get ready to start walking toward a more active role in your health!
1. Click the orange “search for company” link and type in St. Norbert College. This will enter each individual as a participant for our college.
2. Under the “Health Info” heading: The college, Health and Wellness program administrators and any other participants will not see this information. It is used by the tracker to help calculate and translate your non-walking/running activities into “Total Steps.”
3. Under the “Preferences” heading: If checked, the Health and Wellness program administrators will be able to see your name, department, email address and physical activities. However, no one will be able to see your health information (i.e. weight or height).
Registration is ongoing throughout the program.