Step It Up: Life’s a Beach
On Monday, Oct. 5, 2015 we will begin our virtual walk to Gulf Shores, Alabama! This is an 8-week event where we will arrive at the beach on Nov. 29, 2015. Everyone who made the trip can then kick back, slip on your flip-flops and join us at our Beach Party celebration later that week!
All SNC students, faculty and staff are invited to join our trek. We would like you to catch the energetic, team spirit that will encourage daily physical activity.
So Let’s Get Started!
• What is a team? 5 team members designating one as the team captain.
• What is your team name? Decide on a name that makes everyone happy.
• What type of equipment do you need? Each team member will need a pedometer or any other device that will record your daily steps. There are a limited number of free pedometers at Health & Wellness Services available while supplies last.
• Where do you record your weekly steps? We will send out an email with directions to all team members the week before the start date. There is a website showing all teams and their progress.
• Where do you register? Register online.
• What does it cost to participate? It is totally free.
How Far Will We Actually Be Walking?
The total walk from De Pere to Gulf Shores is 1,074 miles or 2,148,000 steps.
1 mile = 2,000 steps
Here’s the math:
1,074 miles for 5 people = 214.8 miles per week
214.8 miles for 8 weeks = 26.85 miles per week for each person
26.85 miles per week = 3.8 miles per day for each person
3.8 miles per day = 7,600 steps a day for each person
And if your daily step count goes beyond this, that will be fantastic!
We will have a weekly destination along the way to Gulf Shores.
Find up-to-date information and highlights by following this exciting event on our Take the Challenge blog, and make sure to follow Health and Wellness on Pinterest! Read the latest from Student Health 101 on Facebook and Twitter.
See you at the beach!