The Interim Years, 1954-1960
These years witnessed the continued success of the military science program. Lieutenant Colonel Teeters was replaced as PMS&T by Major Joseph F. Cutrona. He continued to build and capitalize on the successes of the program. Cadet endeavors were a central theme of all campus activities. The annual Military Ball and selection of the queen continued to be a premier annual event.
In 1955, Abbot Bernard Pennings, O. Praem., founder of St. Norbert College in 1898, died. The Rev. Dennis Burke, O. Praem., was selected to replace him as college president. Father Anselm Keefe retired from the United States Army Reserve as a full colonel in the Chaplains Corps. St. Norbert College began a period of progress under the direction of Father Burke while Father Keefe continued making his personal remarkable contributions as head of the biology department. The Corps of Cadets routinely participated in civic ceremonies and parades.
Main Hall was refurbished in the summer of 1956, with the third-floor auditorium turned into office and classroom space for the military science department. Offices for the president and academic dean were constructed shortly after completion of the military science facilities. The Cadet Corps was issued the new all-green uniform to replace the popular “pinks and greens.”
In the fall of 1957, Vice President Richard Nixon was greeted by the cadet battalion under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Norm Jarock. Nixon visited Green Bay to dedicate the new Packer stadium. He complimented the unit as “one of the finest I've ever seen.”
In 1958, Major Cutrona was replaced as PMS&T by Lieutenant Colonel Herbert B. Allen. Colonel Allen reports that during his tenure, emphasis was placed upon ensuring that a quality leadership program was totally institutionalized. All cadre members were required to attend and participate in all campus activities. The Veterans Club, once a nemesis of the ROTC, was won over and became a campus mentor to the program. Basic course cadets were required to compete for entrance into the advanced program, ensuring that cadets possessed a strong desire to become officers. These changes and the direct support of Father Burke renewed respect and stature for the program amongst the campus community.
The 1961-62 school year saw the military science curriculum change. Military history was extended to 40 hours in the freshman year with marksmanship training reduced to 15 hours. Sophomores no longer received instruction on crew-served weapons. Instead they received a course in basic tactics. The advanced course saw a drop in the number of hours taught from 150 to 105. The requirements per week for a basic course cadet were two one-hour classes and two hours of leadership laboratory. The hours for the advanced course for the first semester were two one-hour classes and two hours of leadership laboratory. During the second semester, there were three hours in the classroom and two hours of leadership laboratory.
These years and the influence of the various professors of military science and school faculty produced some of the most successful graduates to pursue an Army career.
The material on this page is drawn from a St. Norbert College ROTC history book compiled by ROTC alumnus and former military science professor Mike Egan.