2010 Packer Training Camp at St. Norbert College
From St. Norbert College, June 21, 2010
by Mike Counter, email@example.com, (920) 403-3089
The college doesn't host any on-field activities, but it does serve as the team base for all living arrangements, transportation and meals, including continental breakfast, dinner and snack.
For a complete rundown of their practice schedule and more go to http://www.packerstrainingcamp.com/.
The Packers have held their summer training camp at St. Norbert College for 53 years, the longest such relationship between a pro football team and a college in the NFL.
St. Norbert College Packers Training Camp History
Then President of the Packers, Russ Bogda, and then head Coach Lyle Blackburn first approached St. Norbert College in the spring of 1957. At the time the Packers were headquartering at UW-Stevens Point. In the summer of 1958 Coach Scooter McClean and his staff brought the Packers to the St. Norbert campus Frank J. Sensenbrenner Residence Hall living quarters, to various classrooms for training sessions and to the dining facilities on the river bank hall now called Dennis M. Burke Hall.
Over the 53 years various halls have been used but the string of successive summers at St. Norbert College has NEVER been broken. Contractural agreements were completed with St. Norbert College by President Dominic Olejniczak, successor to Russ Bogda, who had retired due to illness. The first pre-season at St. Norbert College coincided with the first Packer schedule of games in the present Lambeau Field. In 1959, newly appointed head Coach Vincent Lombardi confirmed the summer camp location and formed a friendship with father Dennis Burke, O.Praem. Succeeding coaches and Packer Presidents over the years have found the facilities to their liking.
About St. Norbert College
The only Norbertine college in the world, St. Norbert is a four-year, Catholic liberal arts college, devoted to the Norbertine traditions of community, prayer and service to others. Founded in 1898 by Abbot Bernard Pennings as a school to prepare men for the priesthood, St. Norbert College became coeducational in 1952. Today the residential campus serves approximately 2,100 undergraduate and graduate students hailing from throughout the United States and more than 30 countries, and offers study abroad opportunities in 37 countries.
St. Norbert College is located on the banks of the Fox River in the residential community of De Pere, Wisconsin, neighboring Green Bay -- a metropolitan area of more than 200,000, rich in culture, business and opportunity. The academic excellence of the college is nationally recognized by U.S. News & World Report's America's Best Colleges, Princeton Review's Best Midwestern Colleges and the Templeton Honor Roll for Character Building Colleges.