St. Norbert College Students Receive McNair scholarship
From St. Norbert College, September 21, 2012
by Mike Counter, firstname.lastname@example.org, 920-403-3089
The students are:
- Louis Ayensu-Mensah, senior chemistry major from Racine, Wis.
- Samantha Finnigan, junior music major from Green Bay, Wis.
- Rachel Gintner, junior English major from Manitowoc, Wis.
- Tara Lovdahl, junior English/art double major from Racine, Wis.
- Maira Rodriguez, junior sociology/Spanish double major from Mundelein, Ill.
- Crystal Skenandore, junior psychology major from De Pere, Wis.
- Amanda Garcia, senior international studies/political science double major from Green Bay, Wis.
- Devan Scherer, senior psychology major from Two Rivers, Wis.
- Steven Garza, senior international studies/political science double major from Coon Valley, Wis.
It was recently announced that a new five-year grant totaling $1.1 million will enable this highly successful and unique regional collaboration model between Ripon College, Lawrence University in Appleton and St. Norbert College in De Pere. All three schools contribute funding and institutional support to supplement the federal funding. The schools' Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program was awarded the grant by the U.S. Department of Education TRIO division.
The grant will support the McNair Achievement Program beginning in the fall of 2013 and running through the spring of 2018. Its focus is preparing first-generation, low-income and racially underrepresented students for graduate school and the attainment of doctorate degrees.
"Participation in the McNair Scholars program is a life-changing opportunity for the students in it," says Kevin Quinn, coordinator of the program at St. Norbert College. "They are provided with great mentoring, financial support and solid guidance toward successful graduate school applications.
Students entering the program not quite sure that they can measure up later find themselves opening up an acceptance letter from a grad program of their dreams. All of us involved with McNair at St. Norbert are proud to be part of something that has such obvious positive outcomes for our students who might not otherwise have taken a chance on post-graduate study."
For more information about the St. Norbert College students who have placed in the McNair Scholars Program, contact Kevin Quinn, associate academic dean and professor of economics at St. Norbert College. He can be reached at 920-403-3447 or email@example.com.