Norbertine fathers at the abbey. Left to right: the Rev. Jay Fostner, O.Praem., ’84, vice president for mission and heritage; the Rev. Jim Baraniak, O.Praem., ’88, pastor of the college parish; and the Rev. Brian Prunty, O.Praem., ’61, who teaches in the religious studies discipline.
The De Pere home of the Norbertine order is celebrating five decades
June 16 marks the 50-year anniversary of the dedication of the “new” St. Norbert Abbey at 1016 N. Broadway.
The abbey, built under the direction of
Abbot Sylvester Killeen
’27, was constructed to meet the needs of the order, which had outgrown its previous residence at St. Norbert College., and the community moved in in 1959.
To honor this milestone, a Mass of Thanksgiving will be celebrated at 4:30 p.m. on June 16 in the abbey church, followed by a reception on the grounds.
The Mass is one of several events marking the anniversary. Celebrations began with an April 26 organ concert themed around the heritage of the abbey and featuring Olivier Latry, the titular organist of the Cathedral of Notre Dame in Paris.
Rev. Stephen Rossey, O.Praem.,
’56, abbey artist and historian, has provided an inside look at the abbey complex with a series of tours. Rossey will guide a final free tour following the 10 a.m. Mass, June 28. (Pre-registration is required, by calling the Norbertine Center for Spirituality at (920) 337-4315.)
A 48-page book commemorating the abbey’s five decades, “St. Norbert Abbey of the Canons Regular of Prémontré,” is scheduled for release June 8. Copies can be obtained from
email@example.com at a cost of $15 + $5 shipping and handling. The May issue of the new Abbey Magazine is also devoted to the anniversary.
“Over the years [the abbey] has not only been our home, but has been a place of welcome for the many who join us in prayer and come to share our spirituality,” said
Abbot Gary Neville
’73, the sixth and current leader of the De Pere Norbertine community.
Prayer and liturgy provide ongoing opportunities to visit the abbey church. In addition to the 10 a.m. Sunday liturgy, Mass is celebrated at 4:30 p.m. on weekdays and at 8:30 a.m. on Saturdays.
Morning prayer is offered at 7:30 a.m. weekdays, 8 a.m. Saturdays and 9 a.m. on Sundays. Evening prayer is offered at 5:05 p.m. weekdays and 5 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. Taize prayer, a meditative candlelit service including simple chants, rich silence, praise and intercession, is scheduled for 7 p.m. the third Sunday of each month.
The National Shrine of St. Joseph, patron saint of workers, is located in the abbey crypt, the burial place of Founding Abbot Bernard Pennings and Abbot Killeen. A holy hour and perpetual novena to St. Joseph are celebrated in the shrine at 3:15 p.m. every Wednesday. The crypt museum, open to the public, features artifacts associated with the order.
Guests are also invited to pray the outdoor labyrinth, the sacred, winding, meditative walking path on the abbey grounds. Information on praying the labyrinth is available at the Norbertine Center for Spirituality, located within the abbey complex. This year marks the 30th anniversary of the center. For information on center programs and events, visit the
Norbertines web site.