St. Norbert College
St. Norbert College
(Students, faculty and staff) mySNC -
- -
- About SNC | A to Z Index | Directory -



Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) 

Where can I study abroad? | top
The Study Abroad Office offers more than 75 programs in 29 countries. Search for a program or view a complete list of our programs.

Is there a study abroad program for my major? | top
St. Norbert College offers a variety of study abroad programs suited to students in every field of study with the exception of Nursing. Certain majors have a study abroad requirement (International Business & Language Area Studies, International Studies, Modern Foreign Languages, and Business Administration with a Global Concentration), but many students choose to take advantage of studying abroad even if it isn't a degree requirement. An advisor will help you find a program that meets your academic and personal needs.

What types of programs are there? | top

  • Traditional: Students take four or more courses at a traditional university or program site.
  • Hybrid: Students take three or four courses and a for-credit internship or service-learning course.
  • Field-Based Experiential: Students take one thematic seminar, one language course, one research methods course, and conduct their own research.

Are there short-term (J-Term, Maymester or Summer) programs? | top
The Study Abroad Office is not staffed to assist with short-term programs. Study Abroad advisors work with students only for semester- or year-long programs. Resources for short-term programs can be found in the lounge area on the second floor of the Bemis International Center, however students are responsible for all arrangements for short-term study abroad. All credit for short-term programs must be approved by the Registrar's Office prior to departure.

When do most students study abroad? | top
Many students choose to study abroad in the fall or spring of their junior year, however it is possible to study abroad as early as the second semester of sophomore year or as late as second semester of senior year. If you choose to study abroad as a second semester senior, please be aware that most programs do not end in time for your to participate in the graduation ceremony at SNC.

Is it possible to study abroad for two semesters? | top
While most students generally spend only one semester abroad, St. Norbert students have the opportunity to study abroad for two semesters. In order to use your financial aid for two semesters of off-campus study, you must choose at least one exchange program. (Note: The Washington Semester qualifies as a non-exchange program.)

Is there a GPA requirement? | top
You must have a cumulative grade point average of at least a 2.5 in order to apply to study abroad. Be sure to explore each program in more detail, as some programs have higher GPA requirements (up to a 3.0 cumulative GPA).

Will I graduate on-time if I study abroad? | top
By working with your academic advisor and your study abroad advisor, you will complete requirements for your major(s), minor(s), and/or the General Education Program while abroad. Since you will be taking at least 15 credits abroad, you will stay on-track for four-year graduation. (Note: Students must earn a "C" or higher to receive transfer credit.)

Do I need to know a foreign language to study abroad? | top
No! The Study Abroad Office offers programs in English-speaking countries, such as Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom. English language programs are also available in the Czech Republic, Egypt, Italy, the Netherlands, and throughout Africa.

How many courses will I take and how will my credit transfer? | top
Most students register for 15 to 16 credits while abroad in order to stay on-track for four-year graduation. Most students satisfy specific requirements for their major(s), minor(s), and/or the General Education Program. The Registrar maintains credit transfer guides for each study abroad program, indicating how courses abroad transfer back to St. Norbert. Also, please consult the list of Pre-Approved Courses for each study abroad program, along with program-specific web pages, to determine which courses you are most likely to find abroad and how these courses will transfer back to St. Norbert.

Students earn actual grades when abroad, but these grades are not calculated into the St. Norbert College GPA. Students must earn the equivalent of a "C" or better in order to be granted transfer credit. (Note: Students receiving a "C-" or lower will not receive transfer credit.)

Students planning to apply to graduate school should request extra copies of their official overseas transcript (in sealed envelopes) while abroad, as most graduate schools require official transcripts from each school a student has attended. Alternatively, the St. Norbert College Registrar may be able to provide a certified copy.

When should I start planning to study abroad? | top
It's never too early to start planning your study abroad experience! Be sure to speak with your academic advisor about your interest in studying abroad. (S)he may be able to provide you with helpful guidance.

Also, the Study Abroad Office organizes various informational sessions and events during the academic year (see our Events page). Attend these events to learn more about the dynamics of studying abroad. 

Peer advising is also available to all students on a drop-in basis.

How do I apply? | top
First, in order to learn about the basics studying abroad, you must attend an information session (see our Events page) or visit with a Peer Advisor. After attending an information session or meeting with a Peer Advisor, you may schedule an appointment with the appropriate advisor for an individual advisement meeting.

Prior to meeting with a study abroad advisor, you should fill out a Four-Year Planning Paradigm for your major(s). Simply check the requirements that you have already met, along with the requirements that you are currently satisfying. Bring the form with you to your meeting. You should also research program options, paying particular attention to courses that may satisfy requirements for your major(s), minor(s), and the General Education program. Individual advisement meetings are more productive if you have a clear idea of specific programs that suit your needs.

Once you decide upon a program, your study abroad advisor will introduce you to the online application process.

For additional information regarding the application process, please visit the Getting Started and Apply pages.

When is the deadline? | top

  • For Fall Semester study abroad: March 1 by 4:30 p.m.
  • For Spring Semester study abroad: October 1 by 4:30 p.m.

If March 1 or October 1 falls on a weekend, applications will be due on the following Monday.

You are strongly encouraged to begin the application process early, as there are a variety of materials that make up the application portfolio. Please visit the Apply page for additional information regarding the application process.

The Study Abroad Office will review your application to determine your eligibility to study overseas as a St. Norbert College student. If you meet the St. Norbert requirements, your application will be forwarded to your program abroad, which has the final decision on your acceptance.

How much will it cost? | top
The cost of a semester abroad will vary slightly depending upon the program chosen, the host country, and your individual spending habits. For all study abroad programs, students are charged current St. Norbert College tuition. If your programs includes room and/or board, you are charged again at the current St. Norbert College rates for housing and/or a meal plan.

As for additional costs, students are charged a $400 administrative fee, which provides them with a study abroad sash at graduation (representing the country in which they studied) and comprehensive internationalhealth insurance coverage through HTH Worldwide while abroad, which also covers medical evacuation, evacuation for political/social unrest, and repatriation of remains. Above and beyond billable program costs, students are responsible for airfare, passport and visa expenses (if applicable), and personal expenses. 

The costs for each program are outlined on our program pages. Simply click the appropriate semester (fall or spring) next to "Budget Sheets." 

Can I use my financial aid to study abroad? | top
St. Norbert College strongly encourages every student to study abroad; therefore, we allow each student's entire financial aid package to be applied towards the cost of a program for one semester of off-campus study.

Students who choose a St. Norbert College exchange program for at least one of their semesters abroad may use their financial aid package for two semesters of study abroad. Please note that the Washington Semester is considered an off-campus program, hence students wishing to participate in the Washington Semester and a study abroad program must choose an exchange program if they want to use their financial aid for two semesters off-campus.

Tuition waiver and tuition exchange students must select an exchange program in order to utilize their tuition waiver. These students must attend St. Norbert College for two consecutive semesters prior to participating in study abroad.

Please familiarize yourself with the information found on the Finances page.

Please contact Financial Aid with any questions or concerns. 

How will the Study Abroad Office prepare me for my semester abroad? | top
Each student receives a high level of personal attention from their study abroad advisor. Your advisor will assist you in finding a program that meets your academic and personal needs, and then (s)he will guide you through the application process. Once you have been accepted to your program, the Study Abroad Office facilitates a mandatory pre-departure orientation, during which you will be provided with essential logistical, academic, and cross-cultural information. You advisor will remain in touch with you while abroad, and then will welcome you back to St. Norbert upon the successful completion of your semester abroad.

What about travel arrangements? | top
Each student is responsible for obtaining her/his own plane ticket. The Study Abroad Office advises students to purchase their airline tickets: 1) Following official acceptance to their program; and 2) Once the arrival date of the program has been confirmed. When choosing a return date, it is important to return after the final exam period is over. If you miss a final due to the date of the return flight, it is very likely that you will receive an "F" in the course. Your study abroad advisors can offer you additional guidance on this matter. Also, consider purchasing a ticket that allows for a change in return date for a modest fee. Who knows, you may get a last minute invitation to spend two weeks in the Outback, backpack through Europe, or continue exploring Africa.

Once you arrive to your destination, it is generally your responsibility to get from the airport to your school, residence hall, or host family. Please remember, though, that the dynamics of each program are different, and some programs include an airport pick-up. Please consult the program pages for additional details on airport pick-up.

How do I obtain a passport or visa? | top
Each student is responsible for obtaining application forms and applying for his/her own passport and visa (if required). If you do not already have a passport, you are encouraged to apply immediately. If you already have a passport, please remember that your passport must be valid for at least six months after your departure date from your program site. More information regarding passports can be found at the website for the U.S. Department of State.

Visa requirements vary from country to country. If a visa is required, it is your responsibility to obtain it. Visa decisions are entirely up to the host country's consulate. Please understand that the Study Abroad Office does not mandate visa requirements. The Study Abroad Office cannot guarantee that you will be granted a visa, nor can the office guarantee that the visa will be processed in time for departure. You are strongly encouraged to gather the required documents well in advance, so that you can apply for your visa as soon as your letter of acceptance from the study abroad host institution arrives. More information on visas can be found at the website for the U.S. Department of State.

Do I need special immunizations? | top
The Study Abroad Office collaborates with Health & Wellness Services to ensure that students are aware of health issues abroad. Health & Wellness Services provides country- or region-specific packets of information for each student, including information on recommended vaccinations. To view what immunizations may be needed, you are encouraged to research your destination's requirements, using the website for the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention.

What about housing when I return? | top
Information on housing arrangements for the semester you return to campus can be found on the REH website.

Please contact the Department of Residential Education & Housing with any questions or concerns.

Contact Us

For more information, contact:

Study Abroad Office
Center for International Education
O: Bemis | Third Floor

Dr. Rosemary Sands
Director of Study Abroad
O: Bemis 303
T: 920.403.4068
Contact Dr. Sands






Study Abroad Office

Phone: (920) 403-4068
Fax: (920) 403-4083

St. Norbert College • 100 Grant Street • De Pere, WI 54115-2099 • 920-337-3181