November 5, 2009
Annual Reminder of File Sharing and Copyright Infringement
The Higher Education Opportunity Act includes provisions that are designed to reduce the illegal uploading and downloading of copyrighted works through peer-to-peer file sharing. St. Norbert College is required by this act to annually remind our community that illegal distribution of copyrighted materials may be subject to criminal and civil penalties.
All members of the College community are strongly encouraged to read the document "File Sharing and Copyright Infringement":
* By virtue of using the computing and networking facilities provided by the College, each member of College community has agreed to comply with the Computing and Networking Appropriate Use Policy:
* All residents of College residence facilities agree to Residence Hall Networking Terms and Conditions that preclude using peer-to-peer file sharing software:
* The College's response to copyright infringement claims resulting from file sharing is published on our web site:
* There are legal alternatives to file sharing programs to acquire audio, video, software, and games. The following sites have comprehensive lists of legal online services:
* File sharing software can have a serious negative impact on the operation and performance of a computer.
* The College's policy for managing Internet traffic is published on our web site:
Questions regarding file sharing and copyright infringement may be directed to the Help Desk at 403-HELP/4357.
920-403-HELP/4357 (Help Desk)
Follow SNC I.T. on Twitter: http://twitter.com/sncit
If you have any questions, please call the Tech. Support Help Desk at xHELP (4357).
Technology Support Services
Phone: (920) 403-4040