Printing Tips for Students
St. Norbert College's approach to managing student printing and copying supports its efforts to be environmentally responsible, as well as helping reduce costs. The following is information to help students understand and work with this system.
Printing in the computer labs & Library
When you print in the computer labs or the Library, you will see Print Assistant cost preview pop-up windows like those shown below. Once you click Accept, your account will be debited for the job. Always take a moment to carefully review the number of pages and cost of your print job before clicking Accept. This will help you avoid being charged for things that you didn't mean to print. If something doesn't look right, click Delete and go back and check your print settings again. Ask the ITS Service Desk staff for assistance.
|At first the pop-up will show that it is calculating the cost of your print job:
||After a few seconds, it will show the number of pages and cost of your print job:
Tips for managing your print/copy allowance
- Pay attention to the Print Assistant pop-ups to confirm how many pages will be printed
before clicking "Accept"! The purpose of those pop-ups is to help you avoid unnecessary or erroneous printing.
- Optimize your printing to save paper, e.g.:
- Print PowerPoint as handouts instead of full-page slides. In the print dialog box, under "Print what," choose Handouts. The default is 6 slides per page, but you can change it to 3 if you want more room to write notes, or 9 if you want to fit more slides on each page (if you do 9, change the page orientation to landscape). [
Also, depending upon the formatting of the presentation, you may need to change the "Color/grayscale" box to Grayscale or Pure Black and White. If you're not sure, you can experiment with the options in the Print Preview to see how it will look. [
- Print 2 pages per page if the program or printer supports that feature. In Word's print dialog box, under "Zoom," you can change to "Pages per sheet" to 2 (or more, if you can still read it). [
Some printers also offer the option to print 2 pages per sheet from any program. To see if a printer has this ability, go to File - Print and click on the Properties button next to the printer name. Each printer is different, so you may need to look around to find the option. Ask the ITS Service Desk staff for assistance.
- Print on both sides of the paper (duplex) on printers that support this. Again, each printer is different, so you may need to look around to find the options.
- If you don’t really need a paper copy of something, save it as a PDF instead.
- The multi-function (MFP) print/copy/scan machines in the Copy Center and Library allow you to scan printed materials into PDF files and e-mail them to yourself instead of making photocopies.
Your print account balance
- Go to
http://my.snc.edu) and log in.
- On the User menu on the right side, you will see a “Print/Copy Allowance” box like that shown here.
- To see a detailed statement of the last 30 days on your account, click the Account Details link. If you see any certificate security warnings, click past them or add the exception.
- Log in using your regular network/e-mail login ID and password to see your balance.
- Choose “Statement” to see detailed print activity.
Note that if you exceed your quota, your print allowance will go negative, and at the end of the semester your tuition account will be billed for the amount you printed in excess of your allowance.You do not need to add money to your account.
For questions about print accounts, contact Paul Mroczynski at email@example.com or x3951.
Assistance and questions
If you have any questions or need more information, contact the Information Services Desk at (920) 403-4040 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The Information Services Desk is for St. Norbert College students and employees only.