The mission of the Joan P. Schaupp Women’s Center is firmly rooted in the Norbertine ideal of communio, which encourages mutual esteem, trust, sincerity, faith and responsibility to our local and global communities. The center strives to uphold this ideal by providing an inclusive and educational environment in which all genders feel safe and welcome, by encouraging open dialogue throughout the campus community, and by raising awareness of women’s and gender issues. This results in the promotion of non-oppressive attitudes and behaviors, and helps foster an environment in which the practice of communio may flourish.
The Joan P. Schaupp Women’s Center of St. Norbert College is a collective voice for those who share a commitment to women’s and gender issues. The center promotes gender equality and mutual respect between all members of the community by offering programs relevant to the lives of students, providing resources, and celebrating women’s accomplishments. In doing so, the center seeks to educate, support and empower all women, and is committed to creating a more inclusive and egalitarian environment in which diversity, communication and collaboration are encouraged.
Explication of Mission
The Joan P. Schaupp Women's Center seeks to uphold the College mission by embodying the Norbertine ideal of communio, which is characterized by mutual esteem, trust, sincerity, faith and responsibility, and which encourages individual and collective response to the needs of our local and global communities.
In the pursuit of the realization of this ideal, the Center is called to…
SUPPORT the campus community by…
- providing relevant and applicable resources to the St. Norbert community
- encouraging student and faculty participation and collaboration
- creating opportunities for students to challenge pre-conceived notions and mainstream attitudes
- fostering a safe and educational environment in which all individuals can feel comfortable
EDUCATE the campus community by…
- designing student-focused programming
- raising awareness about women’s and gender related issues
- exploring the intersections of gender, race, class, religion, etc…
- encouraging intellectual dialogues among members of the community
- sponsoring academic lectures, speeches, and presentations
EMPOWER the campus community by…
...making the aforementioned resources, opportunities, and events relevant and accessible, thereby encouraging intellectual, spiritual, and personal development.
This will result in the promotion of a climate in which the values of communio - open-dialogue, communication, consultation and collaboration - can flourish.