• |
Caption Arrow

Accounts Payable


The primary purpose of the Accounts Payable department is to pay the college's financial obligations in a timely manner and in accordance with college policies and federal and state laws. Types of payments include:

  • Payments to suppliers for goods and services. A supplier is considered a person or company selling goods or services. New suppliers require a completed Supplier Request in Workday.
  • Reimbursements to employees for appropriate business related expenses.

Payments are issued on a weekly, Thursday, payment cycle. Supplier Invoice Requests must be completed and approved in Workday by 4:00 pm on Tuesday to be included in a Thursday payment cycle. Variations in the payment schedule may occur in the case of holidays or other special timing situations such as year-end cutoff deadlines and will be announced ahead of time in SNC News.

In very limited instances, payments may be made via wire transfer. Please contact the Accounts Payable Specialist at 920-403-3248 if you need to transfer funds via wire.



Form Purpose
Vendor ACH Form To collect necessary vendor bank information and to authorize payments via electronic funds transfer.
Missing Receipt Form To substantiate expenses submitted for reimbursement in cases where original receipts cannot be produced. This form should be used on an exception basis. Original receipts are required by the Travel and Expense Reimbursement Policy.
Sales Tax Exemption Forms To substantiate the college's exemption from state sales tax on qualified purchases. These forms are to be used for official college business only. 
      Wisconsin Wisconsin sales tax exemption form.
       Illinois Illinois sales tax exemption form.
      Minnesota Minnesota sales tax exemption form.
       Florida Florida sales tax exemption form.
W-9 Form Form W-9 is a federal form used to request the taxpayer identification number (TIN) of a U.S. person (including a resident alien) and to request certain certifications and claims for exemption.

Tax Topics and Compliance

St. Norbert College is required to withhold taxes for certain types of payments.

WI Non-Resident Entertainers
The Wisconsin Department of Revenue requires non resident entertainers to file a surety bond or cash deposit seven days prior to the performance if the total contract price (excluding travel expenses under an accountable plan) exceeds $7,000.  The entertainer must provide the College one of the following documents to show the surety bond or cash deposit has been filed.
  • A copy of the payment confirmation page for electronic cash deposit
  • A copy of Form WT-11 with the receipt portion completed and signed for surety bond
  • A waiver issued by the WI Department of Revenue

 If the non resident entertainer fails to provide one of the above documents the College is required to withhold 6% of the contract price.  If a bond or deposit is for an insufficient amount, the College must withhold the difference between the bond or deposit and 6% of the contract price.

For more information on how to file a surety bond or cash deposit, please refer to Publication 508.


Foreign Speakers (Non-Resident Alien Taxation)

Payments to foreign vendors for services (honorarium, consulting, etc.) are generally subject to additional withholding.

All foreign persons who receive a payment for services performed must complete the following form(s)

The College is required to withhold 30% on all payments for independent personal services to foreign persons unless there is a tax treaty claimed.

Claiming Tax Treaty

The U.S. has income tax treaties with a number of foreign countries whose residents are taxed at a reduced rate or exempt from U.S. income taxes on certain items.  Please refer to Publication 901 https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p901.pdf for a listing of countries with treaties.  A foreign person must have a SSN or TIN and complete form 8233 to claim the treaty.

Raffle Reporting Requirements and Federal Income Tax Withholdings
Reporting Raffle Prizes: St Norbert College must report raffle prizes if (a) the amount paid reduced, at the exempt organization’s option, by the wager (the amount a person paid for the chance to win a prize), is $600 or more; and (b) the payout is at least 300 times the amount of the wager.  Form W-2G is used to report this.

Withholding Tax on Raffle Prizes: St Norbert College must withhold 25% from the winnings and report this amount to the IRS on Form W-2G if the winnings are more than $5,000 (Prize minus cost of ticket).

An organization is required to withhold 28% of the total proceeds if (1) the prize is otherwise subject to reporting (the amount of the prize, less the amount wagers, is $600 or more and 300 times the amount of the wager), and (2) the winner fails to furnish a correct taxpayer identification number.

For noncash prizes, the winner must pay the organization 25% of the fair market value of the prize minus the amount of the wager.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between a Supplier Invoice Request and an Expense Report? A Supplier Invoice Request is used to pay an outside party for goods or services provided to SNC. An Expense Report is used to reimburse an employee's out-of-pocket expenditures for goods and services provided to SNC. Expense Reports are also used to reconcile expenses incurred on SNC-issued expense cards (previously called purchasing cards or p-cards).
What is the difference between a Spend Category and an Expense Item? Spend Categories and Expense Items are both used to categorize expense transactions. Spend Categories are used with Supplier Invoice Requests, whereas Expense Items are used with Expense Reports and are more limited in scope. All Expense Items are attached to a Spend Category, and expense transactions are summarized in department budgets by Spend Category.
How do I request a supplier payment? Submit a Supplier Invoice Request in Workday with all supporting documentation and appropriate account coding. If the supplier has never been paid by SNC before, a Supplier Request also needs to be submitted.
What supporting documents should be included with a supplier payment request?  Standard accounting procedures require appropriate authorization and supporting documentation in support of payments. Documentation should be in such form as to justify an expense to an inquiry by an auditor or tax authority. Usually a supplier’s invoice is considered acceptable supporting documentation. The requesting budget manager or department has primary responsibility to insure that appropriate authorization and supporting documentation is included with any payment requests. 
How do I request personal reimbursement for a College expense? Submit an Expense Report in Workday. A valid business purpose and detailed receipt are required. Purchases that are not compliant with SNC's Travel and Expense Reimbursement Policy will be denied.
When are checks processed and what is the deadline for requesting checks?  Payments are issued on a weekly, Thursday, payment cycle. Supplier Invoice Requests must be completed and approved in Workday by 4:00 pm on Tuesday to be considered for payment in the current week. Please note that Accounts Payable staff use discretion in assigning due dates based on the invoice terms.
What if I need a check to be picked up or returned to me?  All checks will be mailed to the payee's address unless special mailing instructions are noted. Checks are not held for pick up.
What do I do with a credit memo/invoice? A credit memo/invoice is submitted in Workday just like an invoice to be paid.
I need to pay a speaker who is from another country, are there any special forms I need to complete?  Yes, payments to non U.S. citizens are subject to unique federal income reporting and withholding rules. Please see Non-Resident Alien Taxation for additional details.
Is the College required to pay Wisconsin sales tax on its purchases?  No, as a 501(c)3 organization, St. Norbert College is exempt from paying Wisconsin sales tax on purchases.
Back To Top Arrow