Multimedia SNC With Your New Magazine OnlineDrew Van Fossen (Communications) shares some of the web-exclusive content featured in the Fall/Winter 2013 issue of St. Norbert College Magazine, available online. Van Fossen, the college's director of communications, also serves as art director for its magazine.
A father’s love for his daughter, the memory of her convictions and the openness of their relationship all came together to spark an idea that led to the Cassandra Voss Center, a new venue for dialogue and exploration of issues related to gender, masculinity, femininity and community. Cassandra ’08 died in an automobile crash in 2007. Our video interview with her father, Kurt Voss, and her faculty mentor (and now center director) Karlyn Crowley (English, Women's & Gender Studies) provides a backdrop for the cover story featured in the fall/winter issue of St. Norbert College Magazine.
The center, standing steadfast on the corner of Reid and Third Streets and rising from the good bones of the former St. John’s Lutheran Church, is a marvel of repurposed property crossed with contemporary architectural touches and top-shelf technology. It’s also the new home of the Joan P. Schaupp Women’s Center, the Men’s Initiative,and the women’s & gender studies discipline, and can be enjoyed via an online gallery as part of the magazine’s online content this issue.
While the mere presence of the Cassandra Voss Center is a testament to collaboration and generosity, we find similar values lived out by the Rev. Dr. Jack MacCarthy, O.Praem., ’67, honored with the 2013 Ambassador of Peace Award and subject of this video interview through which he accepted the award; he was back at his remote clinic in Peru at the time of the award ceremony itself.
Other distinguished alumni received awards this fall and we feature profiles of each of our Alumni Award honorees. This year’s winners, honored at a celebratory dinner in October, were Marybeth Gasman ’90, Jay Everard ’74, the Rev. Domenic Rossi, O.Praem., ’70 and Tyler Thomas ’10.
And even more multimedia content is available online:
- Student organizations, clubs and causes show their wares at the annual Involvement Fair each fall. We asked what makes being connected with a group a meaningful part of the St. Norbert experience, and students were eager to tell all to the video camera.
- Geology students took to the trails with their faculty mentors and explored the geology, ecology and history of the Driftless Area of southwest Wisconsin. Faculty members Nelson Ham and Rebecca (Schmeisser) McKean ’04 documented the trip in pictures in our interactive photo gallery.
- We were energized by meeting futurist and economist Rebecca Ryan. The author was on campus Oct. 15 to inspire a city-wide conversation on ways communities can enhance their ability to recruit and retain the next generation of talent. Ryan stayed on to record an extended interview with Kevin Quinn (Economics) for the October episode of Conversations from St. Norbert College.
- When the Society of Human Resource Management (SHRM) named Matt Stollak (Business Administration) to the quintet comprising its inaugural Blog Squad, Stollak did as he so often does: He blogged about it on True Faith HR. Stollak’s blog, popular among HR types, creates “a new order between HR theory and practice.” His commentary covers everything from the NCAA Final Four to ’70s musical duo Hall and Oates: Join us for a brief tour of True Faith HR.
- And it wouldn’t be fall without our annual seasonal photo gallery to share the splendor and energy of the first months of another exciting year at St. Norbert College.
Dec. 3, 2013