Mission StatementSt. Norbert College, a Catholic liberal arts college embracing the Norbertine ideal of communio, provides an educational environment that fosters intellectual, spiritual and personal development.
A deeper look at our traditions and values
Communio is the ideal of a community united as one, grounded in the Christian understanding of God as Trinity. The prime example of this ideal is found in the common life, prayer and service of the early Christians (Acts 2:44-47). Communio challenges us to follow the example of Jesus by loving one another. We live out communio through mutual esteem, trust, sincerity, faith and responsibility.
Our Three Traditions
Integral to a St. Norbert College education is the experience of our three core traditions:
the Catholic tradition, which calls us to...
● uphold the sacred dignity of all persons,
● seek truth through an ongoing dialogue among faith, reason and culture, and
● utilize knowledge to promote a Gospel vision of justice;
the Norbertine tradition, which calls us to…
● pray and reflect communally and individually, welcoming all to participate,
● seek peace and reconciliation in the spirit of St. Norbert, and
● respond to the needs of our global and local communities;
the liberal arts tradition, which calls us to...
● dialogue with diverse cultures, perspectives and beliefs,
● cultivate a love of lifelong learning inspired by excellent teaching, and
● think critically as responsible members of society.
Whole Person Development
The college fosters intellectual, spiritual, and personal development both inside and outside the classroom. We promote the development of whole persons by cultivating practices of study, reflection, prayer, wellness, play and action.
As the only Norbertine institution of higher learning in the world, our roots, traditions, and commitments create a unique educational experience that prepares us to honor God, serve humanity and care for all.