• |
Caption Arrow

Visa and Immigration Information

 Applying for a Visa 
You must apply for an F-1 or J-1 visa through a U.S. consular office in your home country. Your application must include your Form I-20 or DS-2019; evidence of financial ability to meet expenses; evidence of English ability sufficient for course of study; evidence of intent to depart the U.S. after completion of studies/ties to your home country; valid passport; nonimmigrant visa application; and required fees.

For information on applying for a student visa, please visit the U.S. Department of State website.

 Maintaining Status
Federal immigration law says that you are maintaining your student status if:
  • Your passport is valid (has not expired);
  • You are attending the school full-time;
  • You do not stay in the U.S. longer than permitted on your I-20 or DS-2019;
  • You attend the school you are authorized to attend;
  • You obtain permission to continue from one educational level to another (ESL to degree);
  • You follow the necessary procedures if you transfer schools;
  • You are not employed off-campus or, if you want off-campus work, you obtain permission from the International Student and Scholar Services Office;
  • You inform the International Student and Scholar Services office within 10 days of a change in your address.

If you have any questions about maintaining status, please consult the staff at International Student and Scholar Services.

 Leaving and Re-Entering the United States
Many international students leave the U.S. temporarily during their studies. To re-enter the U.S. after such an absence, you must have a valid passport, a valid F-1 or J-1 visa stamp; and an I-20 or DS-2019 that has been endorsed by a Designated School Official. Before departing the U.S., stop by the International Student and Scholar Services Office to have your I-20 or DS-2019 signed.

 On-Campus Employment
Generally, no special permission is required for an international student to work on-campus. Just remember that the immigration laws limit you to 20 hours per week while school is in session. You may work more than 20 hours per week during school breaks.

Off-Campus Employment

Back To Top Arrow