• |
Caption Arrow

Current International Student Resource Guide


Orientation for International Students
The international student orientation is a special program designed just for you. It will introduce you to your new home at St. Norbert and get you off to a great start in your academic career here! International students will then participate in the general orientation and week of welcome activities. Shorter and less extensive orientations are offered at the start of spring semester. International students have found the orientation program to be valuable for making new friends as well as understanding the academic requirements and support services available at St. Norbert College. Students will also receive important immigration information that will help them maintain legal status while they are in the U.S. Participation in International Student Orientation is mandatory. Current international students serve as orientation volunteers and assist with introductions to the campus and community.

Reporting to St. Norbert
After you arrive at St. Norbert you must check in with International Students and Scholar Services. This process usually takes place when you arrive on campus or during orientation. Please remember that orientation is mandatory for first-year and exchange students. Bring the following documents with you:
  • Passport, I-94, I-20 (for F-1 visa-holders) DS-2019 (for J-1 visa-holders)
St. Norbert College is required to check those documents to confirm your status in the U.S. Failure to do so could result in loss of your legal status in the U.S.

Living/Residence Halls
St. Norbert College is a residential college and there are numerous halls and apartments. The international staff will ask the Office of Residential Education and Housing to reserve a dormitory room for you as soon as you tell us you have a visa and you have plans to come to St. Norbert College.

We do not offer home stays and we cannot help you find off-campus housing. The Office of Residential Education and Housing assigns a residence hall room to each student. Most rooms are double rooms. There are single rooms in some halls but they are not always available.

Each dormitory building has a "residence hall director" and several "residence hall assistants" (RAs). There is an RA on each floor to help with any problems you may have. All residence halls are secured residences that students can enter in by using their student ID card. 

All residence halls have free clothes washers and dryers, small kitchens, recreation rooms, and study rooms. All rooms have Internet connections for computers. More housing information may be found on the Office of Residential Education and Housing website.

Eating at the College
Students living in first and second year residence halls will be automatically enrolled in a college meal plan. All other students have the option to purchase a meal plan.  

Students may use the meal dollars that come with their meal plan in the college cafeteria, at "Phil's" our on-campus restaurant in the Campus Center, Ed’s Café  and in vending machines located across the campus. There is no refund if you do not use your meal plan. For more information, visit the Campus Card Services website.

In the summer and during holidays, food service may not offer full meal plans. Students may choose limited meal plans, prepare meals in residence hall kitchens or eat at local restaurants. Food service information may be found on the Dining Services website.

Bursar Office
St. Norbert College accepts online payments by credit card, checking or savings accounts as well as cash or check for the payment of tuition, fees, room and board. All amounts received must be in U.S. funds.

All past due amounts are subject to a late payment fee of 1% per month (12% annually). Students will not be issued official grade transcripts or permitted to register for succeeding semesters until such time all tuition and fees have been paid in full. Diplomas will not be issued unless all fees have been paid in full and exit requirements have been met.

Contact the Bursar Office for specific information regarding payment by calling 1-920-403-3002.

Custom Cash
Custom Cash is an optional declining balance account that St. Norbert College makes available on your ID Card. You can deposit US dollars into your account in the finance office, and then use your St. Norbert ID card as a debit card at some places on campus. For your convenience you can put Custom Cash on your account and charge it to your tuition by accessing the custom cash deposit form.

You can also put Custom Cash on your account at the Finance Department (cash, check, account charge) located in Todd Wehr Hall or Campus Card Services (account charge only) located in Todd Wehr Hall.

Custom Cash deposits that are charged to your tuition are subject to credit approval. You can use your Custom Cash account until you graduate or withdraw from school. Custom Cash accounts with a $25 or higher balance are fully refundable.

By using your Custom Cash account, you can make "cashless" purchases at the following locations:
  • Phil’s Cafe
  • Ruth’s Marketplace
  • Dale’s Sports Lounge
  • Ed’s Cafe
  • Box Office
  • SNC Book Store
  • Vending Machines
  • Digital Print Center
  • Mail Center
Custom Cash can also be used for our Merchants Online Program. This program includes the following De Pere area businesses.
  • De Pere Y-Mart
  • Erbert and Gerbert’s Sandwich Shop
  • Kwik Trip (746 Main Ave.)
  • Toppers Pizza

Health Services
All students registered in undergraduate programs at St. Norbert College are charged a Student Health Fee.

All St. Norbert College students have access to care at Health Services. Health care services include physical assessment and evaluation by a registered nurse, testing procedures for illnesses such as: influenza, mono, strep throat and urinalysis, as well as sample over-the-counter medications and health education. All St. Norbert College students are able to receive the above services for free. Medical care, advanced diagnostic testing, and prescriptions are available on fee-for-service bases, which may be covered by medical insurance.

All international students are required to have health insurance. They must prove that their own insurance will cover them while they are in the U.S. or they will be automatically enrolled in the St. Norbert College student health insurance and the fee will be charged to their student account. For more information, please visit the Health Services website

Academic Advisement
At St. Norbert College, advising is integral to each student’s academic program. All degree-seeking students are assigned to an academic advisor. Advisors serve as a campus resource for students, assisting them in meeting their academic and career goals. The director of international student and scholar services is the initial or secondary advisor for all international students. For more information, please visit the Academic Advisement website.

Academic Support

The Office of Academic Success, Support and Accessibility offers supportive services to all student. This includes study skills help, time management training, reading skill development, individual and group tutoring, academic coaching, academic counseling and advising, as well as resources for students with disabilities. Contact the Office of Academic Success, Support and Accessibility for more information.

Student Organizations and Clubs
There are more than 70 student organizations at St. Norbert College that provide a very rich co-curricular campus environment. St. Norbert College organizations are recognized by the Student Government Association. At the beginning of the semester, there will be a Student Involvement Fair, a fun afternoon on campus when all of our students check out the wide range of student organizations active on campus and find out how to get involved.


St. Norbert College has select personnel designated and trained to administer St Norbert College's F-1 and J-1 student visa programs. You should contact the director of international student and scholar services if you have any questions or concerns about your immigration or visa status.

What is SEVIS?
SEVIS stands for "Student and Exchange Visitor Information System." SEVIS is an internet-based system designed to allow schools and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Department of  State to exchange data on the visa status of international students and exchange visitors.

All U.S. universities and colleges are required to electronically report information to the U.S. government (ICE) about international students who have been issued SEVIS I-20 (F-1) and SEVIS DS-2019 (J-1) forms.

Please contact the director of international student and scholar services if you have any questions regarding SEVIS.

What happens if my visa stamp in my passport expires? What’s the difference between visa and status?
Your visa is your entry permit into the U.S. It gives you permission to enter the country. However, it does not determine how long you may stay.

Your immigration status on the other hand determines the length of time you may stay and is noted on your I-94. Your status (noted on the I-94 travel record) is determined at the time of entry into the U.S. by the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer.

The status you are granted depends on the type of visa you hold at the time of entry. For example, if you obtained an F-1 visa from the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country, your status upon entry in the U.S. will be indicated as "F-1, D/S" on the I-94. However, please note that it is possible that your status does not correspond to the type of visa you used to gain entry to the U.S. if you filed an application to change your status while remaining in the United States.

Please contact the director of international student and scholar services if you have any questions regarding your visa status.

How long can I remain in the U.S. after completion of my program?
The completion of your program is determined by your academic progress, not the date on your I-20 or DS-2019. Therefore, DHS considers program completion to be the date on which you complete all of your degree or program requirements; the fact that your I-20 or DS-2019 will “expire” in the future does not matter. F-1 students can remain in the U.S. for a grace period up to 60 days after their program completion date; J-1 students and scholars can remain in the U.S. for 30 days after their program completion date.

Please note, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will not allow students and exchange visitors to re-enter the U.S. during their grace period in F-1 or J-1 status, respectively. Please plan your post-completion travels accordingly.

What documents do I need in order to reenter the U.S. from a trip abroad?
International Students in F-1 and J-1 visa status must ensure that they have adequate documentation in order to re-enter the U.S. and continue studies. According to U.S. law, student in F-1 or J-1 visa status may be readmitted to the U.S. after an absence of five months or less, provided that they have maintained lawful full-time F-1 or J-1 status during their stay in the U.S.

In order to apply for re-entry into the U.S. after travel abroad, an international student must present the following documents to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer upon returning to a U.S. airport or other Port of Entry:

  • Valid Passport
  • Valid SEVIS I-20 (F-1 / F-2) or Valid SEVIS DS-2019 (J-1 / J-2)
  • Valid travel signature from your Designated School Official (DSO) or Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) on your SEVIS I-20 (F-1 / F-2) or SEVIS DS-2019 (J-1 / J-2). You may request a travel signature by completing and submitting a Document Request Form to the office of International Student and Scholar Services.
  • I-901 SEVIS Fee Payment Receipt
We also recommend that you take with you the following documents:
  • an official transcript (a historical record of your course work and grades) which may be requested online from Student Records; 
  • a St. Norbert College student identification card; and 
  • proof of adequate financial support for your educational and living expenses.
For a trip less than 30 days in duration you may be eligible for Automatic Visa Validation (AVR). This will allow you to re-enter the U.S. without having to apply for a new U.S. visa stamp if your current one is expired (or if you changed status to F-1 or J-1 within the U.S.). This does not apply to citizens of certain countries, to those who do not have a U.S. visa stamp, and to holders of U.S. visas that have been canceled.

For further information regarding this and other travel-related questions, please contact the director of international student and scholar services. If you want to go home during school vacation, make sure that your SEVIS I-20 (F-1 / F-2) or SEVIS DS-2019 (J-1 / J-2) is signed by an appropriate staff member in the Center for Global Engagement.

My student visa has expired and I need to travel outside of the U.S. How do I apply for a new student visa to be used for my reentry into the U.S.?
To apply for a student visa you will need to file Form DS-160 Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application and then make an appointment with a U.S. Embassy or Consulate located in your home country. Due to recent changes to visa processing and special clearances needed for some applicants, you are strongly encouraged to make your visa application appointment as early as possible.

You will need to bring the following documents with you to apply for your student visa:
  • A SEVIS Form I-20 (F-1) OR
  • a SEVIS Form DS-2019 (J-1) issued by St. Norbert College
Make sure that you provide all pages of the forms and check to see that the form is signed by you and the appropriate school official in the appropriate places.
  • Proof of Adequate Financial Support - bank documents showing you or your sponsor has the financial ability to cover your educational and living expenses during the period of your studies.
  • I-901 SEVIS Fee Payment Receipt
  • Passport - valid for at least six months after your intended date of entry into the United States.
  • Photograph - one photograph taken according to the Guidelines for Producing High Quality Photographs for U.S. Travel Documents.
  • Processing Fee - you must present proof of payment of all applicable fees by presenting a receipt. For applicable fees contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate nearest you.
Driver’s License
In order to get a driver’s license in the U.S., you need to take and pass both a written exam and a driving exam at the local Department of Motor Vehicles. You must provide your own vehicle for the driving exam. You may obtain a student verification document to include with your driver’s license application from the director of international student and scholar services.

For more information, please visit DMV service center website.

Student Employment
Non-immigrant students in F-1 or J-1 status are eligible to work on campus at the school they are attending and which issued them their SEVIS I-20 (F-1) and SEVIS DS-2019 (J-1) Forms. International students are not eligible to work off campus without prior authorization; contact the director of international student and scholar services for more information.

On-campus employment includes all assistantships, fellowships, and scholarships. In order for students to be considered eligible for on-campus employment, they must be enrolled as a full-time student and must be in lawful F-1 or J-1 student status. Your eligibility for on-campus employment is in effect ONLY as long as you are maintaining lawful nonimmigrant F-1 or J-1 student status. Please see the director of international student and scholar services if you have any questions regarding your lawful status. 

If you violate your status, you make yourself ineligible for on-campus employment, because on-campus employment is a benefit granted only to those students who maintain lawful status. If you were to violate your status and continue working on-campus, you would be engaging in illegal employment, and would potentially risk deportation. J-1 students interested in on-campus employment should make an appointment to meet with the director of international student and scholar services before they begin work on campus.

On-campus employment is limited to no more than 20 hours per week when classes are in session. Students who are maintaining their status are eligible to work full-time during holidays and annual vacation periods, provided they intend to register for the next academic session. For more information about finding an on-campus-job, check the Student Employment website.

Social Security Number
 In the U.S., you need to have a social security number before you start work. In order to apply for a social security number, you must first have a job offer from an on-campus employer. For more information about applying for a social security number, contact the director of international student and scholar services.

Services and Departments on Campus
Back To Top Arrow