• |
Caption Arrow

About Your Global Opportunities

Where can I study abroad?
Explore our programs. 

Who can study abroad?
There is a study abroad or off-campus program for every SNC student. Schedule an appointment to start receiving expert support.

Are there short-term (J-Term or summer) programs?
Yes! At SNC, we call these programs Global Seminars. Our current Global Seminars are listed on our homepage.

When should I study abroad?
It depends. Schedule an appointment to start receiving expert support. It's never too early to start planning your #SNCadventures. Refer to our policies to learn more about eligibility requirements.

Is it possible to participate in more than one study abroad or off-campus program?
Yes! Students who would like to spend two semesters off campus must select an exchange program for at least one of the semesters abroad. If you participate in a non-exchange program, you will not be able to apply your SNC institutional scholarships to your second semester of off-campus study. Students may not spend more than two semesters off campus.

Is there a GPA requirement?
You must have a cumulative grade point average of at least a 2.5 to be eligible for a study abroad or off-campus program. Some programs have higher GPA requirements.

Will study abroad affect my time to graduation?
You will work with your academic advisor, study abroad advisor, and the Registrar to identify courses that will satisfy requirements for your major(s), minor(s) and/or core curriculum requirements. Students are advised to enroll in 15 or 16 credits as part of their off-campus program.

Do I need to know a foreign language?
No! We have programs in English-speaking countries (e.g., Australia), English-language programs in countries where English is not the primary language (e.g., Italy), programs in Washington, D.C., and Global Seminars that are taught in English.

How many credits will I take?
Students on semester-long programs are advised to enroll in 15 or 16 credits. Students will earn 4 credits for each Global Seminar. Review our academic policies for more information.

How will my credit transfer?
Students on semester-long programs (except for the Washington Media Institute) must earn the equivalent of a "C" or better to earn transfer credit. Global Seminars follow the same process as SNC courses. Review our academic policies for more information.

When should I start planning to study abroad?
It’s never too early to start planning your study abroad experience! Schedule an appointment or stop by for walk-in advising (Tuesdays from 9 until 10 a.m., Thursdays from 2 until 3 p.m., and Fridays from 3 until 4 p.m.). 

How do I apply?
We have the process mapped out for you.

When is my deadline?
We have our deadlines mapped out for you, too. 

How much will it cost?
Costs vary depending upon the program chosen, the host country, and your individual spending habits. We provide a program budget sheet for each program (accessed via the program brochure page).

Can I use my financial aid to study abroad?
Yes! We allow each student’s entire financial aid package to be applied toward the cost of a program for one semester of off-campus study. There are exceptions for dependent-waiver students, Norbertine-waiver students, tuition-exchange students, and students who participate in two study abroad or off-campus programs. 

How do I plan my travel?
You'll receive expert support during Pack+Prep, our pre-departure programming. In brief, you are responsible for purchasing your plane ticket. We advise students to purchase their airline tickets 1) following official acceptance to their program and 2) once the arrival date of the program has been confirmed.

How do I obtain a passport or visa?
You are responsible for obtaining a passport and visa (if required). If you do not have a passport, you are encouraged to apply immediately. If you already have a passport, please remember that your passport must be valid for at least six months after your departure date from your program site. More information regarding passports can be found on the U.S. Department of State website.

Visa requirements vary from country to country. Since the Center for Global Engagement does not mandate visa requirements, we cannot guarantee that you will be granted a visa, and we cannot guarantee that the visa will be processed in time for you departure. You are strongly encouraged to gather the required documents well in advance so that you can apply for your visa as soon as your letter of acceptance from the study abroad host institution arrives. More information on visas can be found on the U.S. Department of State website.

Do I need any immunizations?
Health & Wellness Services provides country- or region-specific information for each student, including information on recommended vaccinations. To view which immunizations may be needed for your specific program, you are encouraged to research your destination’s requirements using the website for the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention.

Is it safe to study abroad?
We have robust information available on your health, safety, security, and well being.

What about housing when I return?
Information on housing arrangements for the semester you return to campus can be found on the Residential Education and Housing website.

Back To Top Arrow