• |
Caption Arrow

Life on Campus

Your St. Norbert experience should be a rewarding one. As you settle in to the St. Norbert community, we have many resources available to meet your needs and address your questions.

If your questions aren’t answered here, please contact us.

Advising and Registration 
The director of international student and scholar services will advise you on course selection, graduation requirements and registration. When you’ve declared your major, you’ll have a professor in your chosen major who will also advise you on the specific requirements and considerations of your discipline.

St. Norbert College Identification Number
Your St. Norbert College Identification (ID) number is your personal identification number that you will use to access: 

  • KnightLine (the campus course selection, registration, finance and academic record system)
  • Various on-campus services
  • The finance department, to make payments on your tuition, living expenses and fees
It is also printed on your St. Norbert-issued ID card which you will receive at orientation. Your ID number is included in the “Deposited International Student Checklist.” This checklist, sent to you after you confirm your enrollment, explains how to set up your SNC email account. Your ID number is a six-digit number and is preceded by 000.

Email Account
We will likely contact you through your personal St. Norbert College email address more than any other way. Be sure to activate your email account on the Information Technology Services website prior to arriving on campus. It is very important to do this even if you already have another email account. We’ll send you messages regarding immigration and federal regulations only to your St. Norbert email account. Please be sure to check your St. Norbert College email regularly, so as not to miss information that can affect your legal status in the U.S.

Driving in Wisconsin
If you plan to drive in Wisconsin, we will give you information during the International Student Orientation on requirements and instructions on how to proceed.

Financial Information
The first few weeks in a new community can be the most expensive period of your stay in the U.S. A number of items must be purchased at the start of the academic year, so it’s important that you carefully plan your budget. We recommend that you bring sufficient funds for immediate expenses. For your own protection, do not bring cash; bring traveler’s checks in U.S. dollars as they can be purchased at most banks around the world. 

If you bring a bank draft from your country to open an account in a local bank, it can take 10-15 days before you can withdraw funds from that account, so don’t rely on a bank draft for immediate cash. If you have money wired directly from your home bank to a De Pere bank, you may draw upon it immediately after establishing an account. 

We have an automatic teller machine (ATM) on campus, with several more throughout the community. You may be able to use your own bank card in these ATMs, but we recommend that you check with your home bank to learn about the possibility of additional charges.

Residence Halls
Your residence hall is your home, so we’ve provided a number of amenities to make life easier:
  • Laundry facilities
  • Cable-ready hook-ups for multiple television channels, including recent-release movies
  • Ethernet computer hook-ups for fast internet service
  • Voice mail service for all those friends and family who call while you’re away

Learn more about First-Year Housing Options on the Life on Campus page.

Temporary Accommodations for Early Arrivals
If you need to arrive on campus before the residence halls officially open, we can make arrangements for temporary housing. 

If you would like to work while you are in the U.S., the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has strict regulations about the employment of international students. 

If you have an F-1 visa, you are allowed to work on campus for up to 20 hours per week during the school year and more than 20 hours a week during vacation periods. You will need to get prior authorization for off-campus employment in your field of study. 

If you have a J-1 visa, you will need authorization from our office of international student and scholar services to work either on or off campus.

We can help you with any questions. 

Student Health Insurance
St. Norbert College requires all students to have health insurance as a condition of enrollment at the college. Through the Wisconsin Association of Independent Colleges and Universities (WAICU) organization and WPS Insurance Company, St. Norbert provides international students access to an excellent, competitively priced student health insurance policy. 

Please read the following important information about this policy:

The WAICU international student health insurance plan coverage is from August 1 of the current year through July 31 of the following year. International students will be enrolled automatically in the plan as of August 1 of the current year. You do not need to sign up. The fee for the plan (please see below) will be placed on your student account, to be paid along with your tuition and other fees.

Plan information:
This plan pays 100% of services, immunizations and medical care provided at St. Norbert College’s Health Services. This plan also participates in local and national networks; however, a deductible and/or co-payment may apply when accessing care in these networks.

The annual maximum benefit is $100,000. The medication coverage is up to $750 per year after co-pays are applied. 

NOTE: International students with other health insurance coverage might be eligible for an exemption from the St. Norbert College student health insurance policy if their insurance is 1) comparable in coverage, AND 2) has a U.S. claims office. To see if you qualify for an exemption, please visit https://stnorbert.medicatconnect.com/ and enter your health insurance policy information.  You will need your St. Norbert College user name and password. If you have any questions, please visit Health Services.

Health Care
We encourage you to partner with our staff in Health Services for all of your medical needs. We have registered nurses and other certified health-care professionals to partner with you on your wellness needs. You’ll have an opportunity to meet nurses from the health center during the international student orientation. 

If you have documented disabilities, we can provide accommodations for access to university programs, activities and services. Contact our Academic Support Services at +1-920-403-1321 to make an appointment to meet with a counselor. 

New students are required to have a laptop. View the laptop requirement web page for more details.

You’ll find all of the residence halls on campus outfitted with high-speed internet via Ethernet or wireless in some common study areas. Through our Information Technology Services, we offer you a wide variety of information that you’ll likely find useful as you set up and secure your computer.

Back to top arrow