SNC Students background

Spotlights

Great Starts: Alex Sage ’18
Portrait of student Alex Sage

Great Starts: Alex Sage ’18

From time to time, we like to showcase a new SNC grad who’s entered the workplace or grad school. Success stories like these are pretty common. In fact, 95 percent of SNC's Class of 2022 alumni who responded to a survey said they were employed, in grad school or doing service work within nine months of graduating.

Hometown: Beloit, Wis.
Graduation year: 2018
Degree: Bachelor of Science (biology and philosophy)
Plans after graduation: Alex entered Kent State University School of Podiatry, Fall 2018.

What was your academic journey like at St. Norbert?

Well, I’ve known I wanted to be a podiatrist since I was two years old! (My Dad is one.) So in that sense I already had a destination in mind. But I came to SNC as a biochemistry major, took a philosophy course, and loved it so much I decided to pursue a double-major. That’s due in part to my own curiosity, but also to the inspiration of a particular philosophy professor (Eric Hagedorn) and the fact that the college encourages students to pursue their interests and passions wherever that may take them.

But you still ended up in podiatry. How did St. Norbert help move you along that path?

One of the classes I took early on at SNC was a “Life After SNC” honors class. It was tailored to people like me, interested in going to grad school. It familiarized me with the application process, put me through some “practice runs” on admission exams, and helped me understand what I had to do throughout my undergraduate career to improve my chances for admission. Really, it provided a road map for getting into a grad program.

Any other ways your St. Norbert experience helped put grad school in reach?

References are very important in grad school applications, and I had more than I could use! I had so many close, strong relationships with professors at SNC, and they’re so committed to their students’ success, that I was able to get some excellent recommendations from them. It’s time-consuming for professors, and I’m deeply appreciative of their willingness to put in the effort on my behalf. One of my references was from Fr. Jim Neilson, whom I never even had for a class: I just had so many conversations and other interactions with him during my time here that I asked him to be a character reference, of sorts – and he gladly agreed. There was also Professor King, Professor Bailey – really, I’ve been so fortunate to have the kinds of teachers and mentors that I had at St. Norbert.

Sounds like smooth sailing …

Not entirely! I failed my first genetics exam. Professor Feirer sat down with me and told me that biology wasn’t for me and that I should change majors. In his words, “Go major in something easier, you won’t get into med school like this.” Not only did I get an “A” on the final exam in that class, I also ultimately got accepted by several schools. It was in failing that genetics exam that I learned how to properly study. So there was some “tough love” along the way, too!