SNC Students background

Spotlights

Humans of St. Norbert: Austin Marcks ‘21
Parent kissing child

Humans of St. Norbert:

“Trent and I were childhood friends. Our dads were friends when they were growing up. So, we became friends through our dads and school. We’ve been best friends since.

“He had kidney disease. His kidney function was decreasing at an exponential rate. Once he got to a certain point, he would have to be put on dialysis, which happened this summer in July.

“I found out that he needed a kidney in December 2018. I thought ‘Well, he has five sisters, maybe one of them [will be a kidney match].’ I didn’t think it would be realistic for me to actually be a match. Then, after about a month, I was like, ‘Well, nobody’s really doing anything, so I’m going to see if I can get involved.’ So, I called the hospital and asked them to put me through the process of donating. It took 8 months. When we did the actual testing, it was a 9-hour day of different blood tests and tests to make sure I was healthy and fit to the point where I wouldn’t need another kidney anytime soon. They took about two weeks to get back to me and that’s when I found out I was a match.

“They told me the odds were pretty unlikely. The fact we were friends and it worked out was crazy. If this kidney donation wouldn’t have worked out, he would’ve had to go on dialysis three times a week, which takes 3-4 hours, just sitting there doing nothing.

“August 14, was the actual transplant. Going into it, I was really excited. That was the main thing on my mind at that point. I was glad to be done with it so that he could be healthier. You’ve got to make sacrifices for the people you love. This was as big of a sacrifice I could’ve made for him at this point, and I’m so glad I went through with it.

“My friend is healthy again. I get at least the next 20 years with him, or as long as that kidney will last him. To be with him as a friend, and he’ll be able to stand up at my wedding now and everything like that, and that's really what I expected from the process.”
– Austin Marcks ‘21