SNC Students background

Spotlights

Humans of St. Norbert: Carolyne Roepke ‘20
Parent kissing child

Humans of St. Norbert:

“I actually stole my pet bunny, Buttons. My junior year of high school, I was in FFA with a few other people that I knew. One of my acquaintances brought two bunnies to school one day. Someone thought it would be funny to put a male bunny in with a female bunny. Mom got pregnant, had babies and the owners didn’t want babies because mom was a show rabbit. They didn’t know what they were going to do with them. They were initially just going to let them out into the wild. I was not a fan of that, so I snuck into the school one night and took the babies. I obviously waited until they were big enough to be away from their mom, but I took all the babies – except for Buttons, who was the runt of the litter – and brought them to a friend who owned a rabbit sanctuary, who homed them to better places. I kept the little runt for myself. I didn’t ask my parents if I could keep her, she just kind of stayed.

“My mom had a rabbit when she was younger. She just brought it home without asking too. So she couldn’t be too mad at me for something she did herself when she was a kid. Like mother, like daughter, I guess. Her bunny was a free roam and she said that if we were to keep Buttons, she had to be free roam. They obviously let me keep her, but the rules were: 1) She had to be free roam, and 2) I had to train her. So I did.

“She's chubby with an attitude. Ever since I was little, I’ve had this fascination with bunny rabbits. Bugs Bunny was my favorite cartoon character. I had bunny dresses that my grandma used to make me. I love having Buttons around. I like the cuddly type of animals and bunnies are very sociable. She hops around the house. She has a litter box. We even had to child proof everything because of that rabbit. Her favorite food is spicy hay, AKA my phone and lamp chords. She eats dangerously.”
Carolyne Roepke ‘20