SNC Students background

Spotlights

Humans of St. Norbert: Lauren Gentine ‘20
Parent kissing child

Humans of St. Norbert:

“Growing up, I always knew I wanted to be a teacher. But it wasn’t until my sophomore year in high school when I decided that I really loved music.

“This summer, I got to spend time playing for the Sheboygan Symphony. Their piccolo and third chair flute was out on maternity leave, so I got to sit in with them because I was part of their youth orchestra in high school, so they sort of knew who I was and they had my contact information.

“I really liked it because it definitely was a challenge and it pushed me because I was playing with professional musicians. It was completely different than anything that I’ve ever done.

“Music requires a different amount of work. Like biology majors and other majors might have a lot of pen and paper work. We still get that work, but we have to do a lot of practicing. If you’re in music education, you have to work on writing your lesson plans and formatting. It is a lot of work. I almost think of it as a double major because you have to learn the education parts and then you have to learn the music.”
– Lauren Gentine ‘20