SNC Students background

Spotlights

Humans of St. Norbert: Alex Gruber ’18
Portrait of professor Alex Gruber

Humans of St. Norbert: Alex Gruber ’18

Humans of St. Norbert:

“I am the quarantine/isolation student liaison. That means I kind of ease students into the quarantine/isolation period, accompany them throughout it and then help them leave that period when they have completed their isolation or quarantine. I let them know which departments on campus are here supporting them in a very explicit and direct way. And if they have questions about that, I connect them with those offices or with other people on campus who can help them with their questions or concerns as they are going through that whole process and the changes that go along with it and the challenges that come with it, too.

“I think the rewarding part has been to see how resilient the students are and also how honest they are about the challenges they are facing. They understand why what is happening is happening, but I also think they have been honest enough with me and with others about what they are facing, what their struggles are and what help they need. Me getting to do that and hear about their struggles, their issues and, hopefully, connect them with the departments on campus that can support them has been fulfilling. Getting to work with so many different people on campus, to see how dedicated they are to helping students and to figure out what is working and what isn’t working in the process. To show support for these students during these ten days or two weeks of isolation in a hotel room or scheduled walks or getting meals delivered has been a joy. I’m also teaching the communio course this semester so working in these positions has really shown me communio in action. Communio embodied in the way that the school is responding to the pandemic and, specifically, to the needs of students in quarantine and isolation.” – Alex Gruber ’18, quarantine/isolation student liaison