SNC Students background

Spotlights

Humans of St. Norbert: Kodee Zarnke ‘21
Portrait of Kodee Zarnke

Humans of St. Norbert: Kodee Zarnke ‘21

Humans of St. Norbert:

“I consider myself an active citizen in progress, and voting and political engagement is something I am continually learning about as I work toward fully understanding my rights, roles and responsibility in society. I’m not politically perfect and there is a lot I do not know. When I was younger, it seemed more advantageous to disengage from dinner time talk of politics and for a while, I held politics away from me at arms length with a pinched nose like a dirty sock. In high school, I became more attuned to the world’s shortcomings and the discrimination that flashed before me on the news. More than ever, I felt compelled toward justice.

“Voting in a presidential election is one thing, but having the wherewithal to stay informed on local and state elections can seem tedious, and it is. Sure, if you still have cable, you’ll be pestered by relentless commercials of candidates running for senate, congress or state supreme court, but researching and understanding their policies is up to you.

“I hold the position of community organizer at The Norman Miller Center for Peace, Justice & Public Understanding, where we were going to be hosting early voter and in-person absentee voter registration to get the SNC community ready for the spring election and presidential preference primary on April 7. Despite the order to stay at home to slow the spread of coronavirus, it is important to still vote. Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, online registration to vote is extended until March 30, 2020. You can register to vote or request an absentee ballot through the MyVote Wisconsin website.

“Because democracy is such a big part of our livelihood, it affects our every day, even when we don’t realize it. Even if it seems like your vote doesn’t matter, if you give up your vote, or you don’t participate, then you’re just sort of allowing things that you don’t agree with to continue. Everyone deserves a seat at the table when decisions are made concerning them, and a chance to contribute their own voice to the conversation. Your vote is your voice – a voice that speaks for your values. It is your ticket to a seat at the table.”
– Kodee Zarnke ‘21