SNC Students background

Spotlights

Humans of St. Norbert: Ralph Hombsch ’24
Parent kissing child

Humans of St. Norbert:

“I am the youngest of five siblings and my oldest sister, Willow, went here so when I thought of college, this is what I thought of, I thought of St. Norbert. I toured some other schools, but this always felt right to me. The initial price tag looked scary, but putting in a little bit of work to get scholarships, other outside scholarships from clubs and businesses, and things like that made that price tag look not as scary.

“I got a little over $19,000 in outside scholarships and that’s really gone a long way for me. It will hopefully get me through my freshman and sophomore year having to pay little out of pocket and that’ll hopefully prolong me from having to take out student loans until my junior and senior year. I probably applied for around 20 scholarships. I didn’t get all of them, but it was definitely worth applying. You may only see a scholarship that is worth $250 or $500 and say, ‘I’ll just go for the bigger ones.' But it’s all the little ones that really made a difference for me. I couldn’t have done it without my mom. She helped me a lot with finding the scholarships and what they all needed.

“My goal would be to graduate college debt free. That would be the ultimate goal and it would be a crazy success story for me. So I am definitely going to keep working in the summers with summer jobs and keep reapplying to scholarships so hopefully I can graduate debt free. It’s going to be tough, but I’m going to keep working towards it.” – Ralph Hombsch ’24